copper wort chiller for 100 litre pan

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

copper wort chiller for 100 litre pan

Post by sbond10 » Sun May 17, 2015 10:54 am

Recently purchased a 100 litre pan (holy crap its big) now the issue of cooling has reared it's head. I had planned for a standard copper immersion chiller but my problem is I plan to do 30 litre total in fv (biab so start with 50-55 ).
So the problem my pan is 50 cm s high so roughly every 1/2cm is a litre so if I have 30 litres That's 15cm. Most coils I've been looking at are around 20cm-30 cm s high so only half the coil will be submerged. Which isn't good for efficency nor sanitising it.
My idea is to either ask someone makes copper chillers if they can make a short wide one(easiest to stir ) Or go for something more complex ie 3/4 coils interconnected to cover the area of the pan.
The short stumpy one I could make myself if I could find something wide enough but the problem is the hop filter hanging out which will push the chiller up.
I've looked at fils trombone contraption and tbh it's above my skill level.
I've also looked at no chills and plates chillers and I don't have the space for extra jerry cans. And I don't have the money to get a proper plate chiller set.
so any other ideas or is there any forum members that make wort chillers

Thanks in advance sean

Befuddler

Re: copper wort chiller for 100 litre pan

Post by Befuddler » Sun May 17, 2015 12:57 pm

You can get some pretty cheap plate chillers from china if you're willing to wait a few weeks... I have one exactly like this:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Stainles ... 269.vcm08W

Probably doesn't cost any more than a decent immersion chiller and it gets my wort down to 15c with a very respectable flow rate.
"There are no strong beers, only weak men"

sbond10
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Sun May 17, 2015 1:37 pm

Problem is then ill need all the fittings and pumps to with a plate chiller. And it's massive unknown of how to clean one of them things.
currently thinking about a ace of clubs shaped design for an immersion chiller 3 coils each around 12 cm in diameter with 50cm tails. That way I could get 5/6 coils in each stack. Total stack height around 7 cms. That could work

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Sun May 17, 2015 1:43 pm

Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Sun May 17, 2015 1:44 pm

Wont help too much with the lesser volumes but they can be made easily enough
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Sun May 17, 2015 2:52 pm

Cheers barneey some interesting ideas may just increase my total to 46 litres which is what would fit into two fermenter s that way I'd have around 23cm s of liquid