Regulator

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Snips19

Regulator

Post by Snips19 » Sun May 17, 2015 8:18 pm

Hi All

Sorry that the first thing I ask is for help. I bought a Flash cooler/Pumps/Gas bottle that had this regulator on can you tell me if it is usable as it is? Thanks in advance.

Chris
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj5 ... lxywho.jpg

Snips19

Re: Regulator

Post by Snips19 » Sun May 17, 2015 8:27 pm

Hope The picture works.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sun May 17, 2015 8:27 pm

Depends on what you want to dispense. It's a reg for mixed gasses (Nitrogen & Carbon Dioxide). Usually smoothflow beers.

Snips19

Post by Snips19 » Sun May 17, 2015 8:32 pm

It's for a lager of some sorts.

Chris
Last edited by Snips19 on Sun May 17, 2015 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Befuddler
Even further under the Table

Post by Befuddler » Sun May 17, 2015 9:16 pm

That thing looks prehistoric. Does it have a test sticker anywhere on it?

Also it looks to have a preset output pressure of 35psi, which is too high. It's probably designed to be used with secondary regulators to step down to serving pressure.

Mixed gas is not really what you want for lager anyway. It's more for dark beers and stouts to give a creamy texture.
"There are no strong beers, only weak men"

Snips19

Post by Snips19 » Sun May 17, 2015 9:19 pm

[quote="Befuddler"]That thing looks prehistoric. Does it have a test sticker anywhere on it?

Also it looks to have a preset output pressure of 35psi, which is too high. It's probably designed to be used with secondary regulators to step down to serving pressure.

Mixed gas is not really what you want for lager anyway. It's more for dark beers and stouts to give a creamy texture.[/quote]

Thanks new regulator then.

Befuddler
Even further under the Table

Post by Befuddler » Sun May 17, 2015 9:22 pm

Snips19 wrote:
Befuddler wrote:That thing looks prehistoric. Does it have a test sticker anywhere on it?

Mixed gas is not really what you want for lager anyway. It's more for dark beers and stouts to give a creamy texture.
Thanks new regulator then.
And a new gas bottle. Pure co2 has a different fitting.
"There are no strong beers, only weak men"

Snips19

Post by Snips19 » Sun May 17, 2015 9:25 pm

Could you recommend a regulator thanks.

Snips19

Post by Snips19 » Sun May 17, 2015 9:32 pm

Look like my bottle is ok.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Mon May 18, 2015 1:08 pm

I use 1 of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CO2-Single-St ... 2a1ddd0269

And 1 secondary regulator. This allows me to have 1 keg at 5PSI and another at 10PSI.

You can get propper Micromatic dispense regulators which have pressure release, a lot of members on here wouldn't touch the welding regulators. Then again a lot do, me included.

If you're buying Corny kegs with a pressure release on the lid you should be fine with the welding reg.

Snips19

Post by Snips19 » Mon May 18, 2015 2:10 pm

Thanks for the link I will be using the large kegs so I may need a pressure release valve or something.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Mon May 18, 2015 7:44 pm

I use sankey pub kegs with that welding reg. I've adapted a coupler to allow me to release the pressure from the kegs. If you plan on using secondary regulators then the welding reg as a primary regulator will be fine, otherwise you may want to get a propper drinks dispense regulator. Have a look on the "For Sale" section on here or ebay.

Snips19

Post by Snips19 » Mon May 18, 2015 9:36 pm

alexlark wrote:I use sankey pub kegs with that welding reg. I've adapted a coupler to allow me to release the pressure from the kegs. If you plan on using secondary regulators then the welding reg as a primary regulator will be fine, otherwise you may want to get a propper drinks dispense regulator. Have a look on the "For Sale" section on here or ebay.
Thanks for your advice I will try and find a regulator.