Bulging Budget Barrel

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Bigster

Bulging Budget Barrel

Post by Bigster » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:46 am

Hmmm

Getting the bike out of the garage this morning I noticed a weeble wobbling Budget barrel, full with my abbott clone, with the bottom pushed out. I released the cap and an amazing amount of pressure had built up judging by the noise and swirling dust in the garage :o

This happened years ago on the exact same barrel so I guess I shouldnt be surprised that the plastic must be weakened at that point. Hopefully it will have gone back to normal shape and the beer settled tonight by 5pm.

Which brings me on to some questions:

1. I change the rubbers on these regularly but that is to stop leaks -
Is it possible to test the valves as there must/should be some sort of safety release?
2. This barrel has had its last chance. I am looking for a replacement and the
king keg top floater has caught my eye (ouch). Has anyone got one of those and a budget barrel and if so how much wider are they as I have a custom built shelf which would struggle with anything more than an extra 7.5cm. also I guess they have the same valves so I can continue using my hambledon bard gas cylinder

:beer

bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Post by bitter_dave » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:05 am

QUOTE (Bigster @ Jun 15 2006, 09:46 AM) I am looking for a replacement and the
king keg top floater has caught my eye (ouch). Has anyone got one of those and a budget barrel and if so how much wider are they as I have a custom built shelf which would struggle with anything more than an extra 7.5cm. also I guess they have the same valves so I can continue using my hambledon bard gas cylinder

I have a budget barrel and a top tap king keg sitting next to me in my office (I'm working at home).

The circumference at it's widest point is approx 108 cms for the KK compared with about 101cms for the BB. I think it should fit fine in the space you have; someone with better grasp of algerbra than me could work the diameter.

The valves are the same, yes, so you could use your cylinder (I've used mine on both my KK and BB barrels).

Hope this helps.

PieOPah

Post by PieOPah » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:10 am

It sounds to me like there must be a problem with your valve. I always add priming sugar rather than using a canister (I only add CO2 as a top up if needed). My most recent brwe I added slightly too much sugar. That along with the warm temperatures has meant that my beer isn't dissolving as much CO2 as normal resulting in too much pressure.

My wife tells me that there was a loud gushing sound as though the keg was leaking. Checking on it there was no leak and the barrel was still pressurised enough to dispense beer with a decent head. Only conclussion I could come too was it had released enough CO2 to be at a safe pressure.

Have you replaced the valve at all? What condition is the rubber on it?

I am also using a BB but will be upgrading (adding to my collection) a Top Tap King Keg. I have found one hat has a nice sparkler tap on it so I am hoping for it to produce a better poured pint :D

Bigster

Post by Bigster » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:28 pm

Thanks guys.

The rubbers have all been replaced in last few months. looks like the KK should fit a treat so depending on how flush I feel at next brew may get new barrel. If the pips are squeaking then a new valve ......

BTW the abbott barrel had not gone back to normal and beer was very cloudy - still had to force a half(a gallon) down it was the only way I could watch the england game :rolleyes:

Bigster

Post by Bigster » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:25 pm

Makes sense getting a new barrel and a bottom dispenser at that - also will be able to add one of those carlos fandangle go faster pressure gauges (see my eldridge pope post - how ironic too much and not enough pressure all in one day).

Note to self
my brother is showing an interest in all this so could start him off with my BB if the cure all ills magical citric acid works :D

Bigster

Post by Bigster » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:48 am

I think I am going to have to get a new barrel this weekend or sort the valve out.

Whatever I do I am going to transfer beer in to my fermenter and then back in to barrel.

As the beer has been in the barrel for 3 to 4 weeks I guess no point in repriming as yeast well gone - just give it a good blast of gas.

Also probably a good idea to add more finings - stomach feeling a bit :out this morning after drinking all that cloudy stuff :lol:

PieOPah

Post by PieOPah » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:16 am

Personally I would throw the BB away once it is empty. Even if the valves have been faulty and not releasing the pressure, the fact that on at least 2 occassions the keg has bulged out means that it is now weakend meaning it won't be capable of holding as much pressure.

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:32 am

Rather than chuck it I'd look to utilise it in another capacity :D

You could even drill a hole in the top cap, fit a bung and airlock and voila, secondary fermentation vessel.

Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:20 pm

I have 2 budget barrels in addition to my 4 King Kegs & bottles, the budget barrels are ideal for storing fermented brews prior to bottling. After fermentation I always transfer my brews which are destined for my bottles in a budget barrel for about 2 weeks to allow conditioning, then bottle from there.

Bigster

Post by Bigster » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:31 pm

Abbot safely in its new home , a brand new shiny KK bottom tap. A right little beauty, almost fell for the HB beer sphere until HBS guy pointed out its a little unstable on those 3 legs.. :stun . One of the benefits of buying locally - can have a good squeeze of the lemons

Whilst there he thew in some hop tablets for aroma no bitterness - 1 tablet per 50 litres. Any one used these ?