Upgrade from plastic boiler - suggestions

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
smartdev

Upgrade from plastic boiler - suggestions

Post by smartdev » Sun May 24, 2015 10:31 am

I have been using a plastic 33 litre PP bucket with two Tesco kettle elements with good results for the last year or so. However I am concerned about the safety of 30 litres of boiling liquid in a plastic bucket so I would like to upgrade to something a bit more robust! The most likely candidate would be a SS / Aluminium stock pot of similar size, question is, would I be able to use the same elements in the SS pot? Reason I ask is as the whole will be quite big it might struggle to make a seal? I have seen elements where its two small wholes so maybe that would be better?

One key thing I like about the bucket is I am able to stack all by fermenter s together to save space, I would get a buffalo boiler, but I wouldn't be able to stack my fermenter s in it? (I live in a small flat)

Cully
Even further under the Table
Location: with the powers of light and dark... I.e. Newcastle

Re: Upgrade from plastic boiler - suggestions

Post by Cully » Sun May 24, 2015 11:24 am

I got a new style 40 ltr Buffalo boiler, which I am led to believe are a little taller and slimmer than previous models. Depending on your fv it might stack insided one. Beware though, a bit more work is needed than of old to add a different tap. I'm just leaving the standard one on for now.
Nothing's forgotten, nothings EVER forgotten...

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Re: Upgrade from plastic boiler - suggestions

Post by sbond10 » Sun May 24, 2015 11:30 am

There was a custom boiler with element holes precut into the pot in the for sale section.
I personally can't see a problem with stacking as long as it's dry and your not putting pressure on the elements.

As you've asked about upgrading two items why not upgrade your boiler to shiney and have a mini biab system.

Check out
powel brewing
the home brew builder
angel homebrew
the malt Miller

For idea s and costs