Fermenting in stainless steel

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
jceg316

Fermenting in stainless steel

Post by jceg316 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:36 pm

Seems to be a good idea to me but no one is really doing it unless it's a conical fermenter. I was thinking of usig a 33 litre pot to ferment in. I'll tape down the lid and drill a hole for an airlock*. Is there a reason this isn't done?

Thanks

*not in that order

Clibit
Under the Table

Re: Fermenting in stainless steel

Post by Clibit » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:38 pm

I started off fermenting in the steel pot I mashed and boiled in. Just chucked the yeast in when it was down to pitching temperature. It worked really well. Steel is better than plastic, I'm sure.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:19 pm

jceg316 wrote:Is there a reason this isn't done? r
Stainless is expensive, and plastic buckets are cheap. If you're going for expensive then most people go to a conical.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

beer today
Hollow Legs

Post by beer today » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:58 pm

I don't worry about sealing the lid down, they never used too. I leave my lid loosely sitting on the plastic fermenter, never had an issue. Seen some fermenters with cling film on, but seems a little unnecessary in my opinion.

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:50 pm

beer today wrote:I don't worry about sealing the lid down, they never used too. I leave my lid loosely sitting on the plastic fermenter, never had an issue. Seen some fermenters with cling film on, but seems a little unnecessary in my opinion.
Depends where you brew. Clingfilm is a must if you ferment somewhere which could be damp (shed) or is subject to air currents.

Use a stainless pan or if you're willing to pay the money a pressure cooker, after that, theres the brewbucket and then of course, the conical market.

jceg316

Post by jceg316 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:44 pm

thanks for your responses. I leave my brews to ferment in the garage so sealing up my pot is a must. It is more expensive upfront but in the long run seems like it could be cheaper. Most my plastic buckets need replacing as they get scratches in, and then eventaually the replaements will fail. Plus I can't leave beer in plastic for long periods of time, so if there is a fermentaation issue (which come winter there will be) I'm a bit screwed 3 weeks in and the yeast is still slowly chugging away.

Hogarth
Under the Table

Post by Hogarth » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:47 pm

One advantage of a stainless pot is, you can put a bit of water in it, put it on the stove, and boil it to buggery to take care of the nasties.

Waffty
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Waffty » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:14 pm

I have a 20L stainless pot that I use to collect the wort from my mash tun before I pump it back into my HLT/Boiler. As stated above it's easy to prepare, I just put an inch of water in it and leave it boil away, fingers crossed, no issues, so far.

When my currently Youngs plastic fermenter gives up the ghost then I will either move to a conical or stock pot, as I can see no issues fermenting in a stock pot, ok a thermopot may be a better option but you get my point.

Round by me, there are loads of breweries, a fair few of which only use loose fitting tops, if at all on there fermentation vessels.
Fermenting - Nothing
Conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Tea
Planning - Everything, if only I had the time ... !!

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:54 am

jceg316 wrote:Seems to be a good idea to me but no one is really doing it unless it's a conical fermenter. I was thinking of usig a 33 litre pot to ferment in. I'll tape down the lid and drill a hole for an airlock*. Is there a reason this isn't done?

Thanks

*not in that order
I have has success with a 33lt bergland pot in the past, used in a cooling fridge with just the lid on (no airlock) any co2 will escape anyway.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

Hogarth
Under the Table

Post by Hogarth » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:46 pm

Now that I remember, I did once buy a cheap stainless steel pot in which to ferment, but wasn't impressed by the finish on the inside. There were lots of little holes where the sides had been welded onto the bottom. It now does fine service as an HLT. If I were going to do it again I'd try to look at the inside first before buying.

jceg316

Post by jceg316 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:51 pm

Hogarth wrote:Now that I remember, I did once buy a cheap stainless steel pot in which to ferment, but wasn't impressed by the finish on the inside. There were lots of little holes where the sides had been welded onto the bottom. It now does fine service as an HLT. If I were going to do it again I'd try to look at the inside first before buying.
Thanks for the advice. I will probably go to a couple of markets in London where I hear they sell stockpots for cheap and will check this out.

SHIELDS EXILE
Steady Drinker

Post by SHIELDS EXILE » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:15 am

I always use. Stainless get an old keg from a junk yard cut the top off with a hacksaw, and use a plastic. Garbage sack tied over the top and an elastic band, it will rise to a balloon shape while fermentation is going on. I never use plastic vessels they could be the cause of many cancers. Most are. Untested. Or use glass jars, large ones are coming out of China cheaply presently.d

hotmog
Piss Artist

Post by hotmog » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:18 pm

I use two 30l stainless steel stockpots, each containing 19l, as fermenters for my 38l brews. I got them from a supplier in Germany 3 or 4 years ago (can't remember who). You don't need to drill holes in the lids for airlocks and seal the lid. The lids have a lip that overhangs the edge, and are held down by their own weight. No airborne contaminants will get in, but CO2 from the fermentation will get out. :wink:

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:33 pm

jceg316 wrote:
Hogarth wrote:Now that I remember, I did once buy a cheap stainless steel pot in which to ferment, but wasn't impressed by the finish on the inside. There were lots of little holes where the sides had been welded onto the bottom. It now does fine service as an HLT. If I were going to do it again I'd try to look at the inside first before buying.
Thanks for the advice. I will probably go to a couple of markets in London where I hear they sell stockpots for cheap and will check this out.
Go to the Asian supermarket on brick lane: taj I think. They have the really big pots

basswulf
Piss Artist

Post by basswulf » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:07 pm

Working the Brew in a Bag / No-Chill routine, I reuse the stainless steel pot that I mash and boil in, with the wort transferred to a plastic cube after boiling and then back in the next day when I'm ready to start the fermentation. I do use clingfilm to help seal it in because I'm also dangling a temperature probe inside and this gives a way to seal the top enough to allow for that lead snaking in, excess CO2 to escape and stopping dust falling into the fermentor.

Works well for me.

Wulf