Hop Strainer

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
tribs

Hop Strainer

Post by tribs » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:15 pm

Having realised a piece of 15mm copper pipe fits perfectly into the back of my boiler tap, I thought I'd make up a hop strainer and see if there is any noticeable difference in utilisation and clarity over using muslin hop bags.

For the hop strainer I took a length of copper pipe 2/3 the diameter of my boiler. I used pliers to clamp one end closed and cut many slots across the pipe using a hacksaw (similar to the slots in a mash tun manifold, but I cut a lot more slots). I pushed it into the back of the boiler tap and tested with water. It had little effect on the flow.

<pictures to follow>

I brewed the TT's Landlord recipe I posted in the recipes section on Sunday. Here are my thoughts.

1. Its easier adding the hops. You can just measure them and toss them in the boil.
2. Its funny seeing the hops circulate through the boil.
3. No noticeable difference in aroma.
4. Wort not noticeably clearer.
5. I like seeing the expanded hop flowers in the bottom of the boiler when its emptied although it seems there is more wort lost to the deadspace (soaked up by the hops).
6. Its easier to clean. Don't have to bother emptying and rinsing the bags (cheapskate :lol:).

I will post an update once this brew is finished and I can check utilisation, flavour and aroma ;)

PieOPah

Post by PieOPah » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:38 pm

I know that there are numerous opinions on the utilization of the hops when you use a hop bag.

While I don't use hop bags, I do instead use a grain bag. The idea behind this was to get the full utilization of the hops as they are free in the wort while I get the advantage of easily removing them.

I have since thought about getting a hops strainer to fit onto the back of my tap.

Firstly, the wife doesn't like me putting my used grain bags in the washing machine with the regular wash since she finds bits of hops stuck to the clothes. Secondly, the hops apparently make a nice natural filter for your wort.

I am too lazy to bother making stuff myself so tend to buy everything instead (much more expensive and less satisfying, but much easier).

Let us know what differences you find and whether you think it beneficial or don't notice the difference.

Thanks,

bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Post by bitter_dave » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:48 pm

I've used two ways of seperating the hops from the wort:

1) tipping the wort into a lauter tun (made up of two fermenting bins the inner one with holes in it) and straining through this, and

2) using hop bags (when I was alerted to the possibility of Hot side aereation :o ).

I did find the wort to be more murky after straining when I used hop bags, but when I barreled the beer on both occaisions they had completely cleared.

I didn't do the same recipe so I can't compare the beers scientifically, but the one using hop bags was as hoppy as I would expect and my best beer so far.

I also found hop bags actually more convienient during the boil - you measure out all the ingredients beforehand and chuck em' in at the allotted time - useful if you are adding them at different times during the boil.

Conclusion: I'm a bit of a convert to hop bags (at least until I can be bothered to order/make a strainer).

just my 2p worth :unsure: .

Looking forward to your results tribs, and interested to see photos of the strainer if poss :)