Parts needed for Weldless Tap fitting

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Eclipse9101
Steady Drinker

Parts needed for Weldless Tap fitting

Post by Eclipse9101 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:09 am

Hi guys,

Im trying to source parts for a neat weldless tap fitting for my new shiny build!

I have seen the 3 piece weldless tap kits for sale on various sites but was wondering if there is an alternative way of doing this by sourcing the parts myself.

I am wondering if a recessed hex nut with a red silicone O ring on a parallel 1/2" nipple would seal from inside a pot? Then the ball valve would screw on from the outside with ptfe tap on the threads of the nipple. Would this work or is there a better solution anyone knows of?

Ive seen the "o ring encapsulated in a large washer" option but would prefer a neater solution for this as i plan on installing 4 3 piece ball valve taps on my HLT alone and would prefer not to have these large 50mm washers behind every tap.

thanks

Adam

Cully
Even further under the Table
Location: with the powers of light and dark... I.e. Newcastle

Re: Parts needed for Weldless Tap fitting

Post by Cully » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:33 am

Have you browsed on here? I used their stainles steel tap and fittings for my plastic boiler, and am going to do the same when I sort out my coolbox mashtun.

https://www.bes.co.uk/index.asp
Nothing's forgotten, nothings EVER forgotten...

Eclipse9101
Steady Drinker

Post by Eclipse9101 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:37 am

Cully wrote:Have you browsed on here? I used their stainles steel tap and fittings for my plastic boiler, and am going to do the same when I sort out my coolbox mashtun.

https://www.bes.co.uk/index.asp
thanks yeah I have been looking on bes but can't figure out what parts I need to make a weldless fitting...

Cully

Post by Cully » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:02 am

I got a SS Tap,Big wsher for the outside, big washer for the inside, a threaded nipple, big nut and a hose barb. Bear in mind this through a couple of mil of plastic boiler wall. From outside in it want barb - tap - big plastic washer - boiler wall - big plastic washer - nipple in to end of tap - big ss nut and just attached my hop strainer to that.

Fastline
Hollow Legs

Post by Fastline » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:30 pm

I've only seen the recessed nuts for sale at homebrew places, I think they have standard ones machined to suit the o rings, i prefere the look of this myself, I have got to fit a few taps myself,

Think i'll try modifying some nuts and giving it a try on one of my vessels, i brought a load of silicone O rings and im sure i have nuts here

The link below shows what your saying

http://www.hoptomology.com/2012/03/28/h ... s-fitting/

Cully

Post by Cully » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:56 am

Aye.

Fastline
Hollow Legs

Post by Fastline » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:29 am

Well didn't really get far with this, the stainless steel nuts that I got from BES are very small.

There would appear to not be sufficient meat on them that would allow them to be machined.

I am going to look into sourcing a bigger 1/2" BSP Stainless steel nut

You can buy the nuts with the O ring Groove for about £1 each from homebrew places

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:39 pm

Angel Home Brew have good instructions on what you need for tap fitting:

http://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/en/conte ... structions

The parts are as follows:

2 or 3 piece Tap
1/2" BSP parallel nipple (35mm)
1/2" BSP Ftting Stainless Steel Form B Washer x2
M27 Stainless Steel Form B Washer
1/2" Silicone O Ring
1/2" BSP Full Socket
1/2" BSP Hex Nut

I like their system as it uses the 2 washers to fully encapsulate the o-ring for a good seal, and will be updating my current tap seals with this shortly as the fibre washers used in the first place are wearing out quickly.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Fastline
Hollow Legs

Post by Fastline » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:29 pm

I like their system as it uses the 2 washers to fully encapsulate the o-ring for a good seal, and will be updating my current tap seals with this shortly as the fibre washers used in the first place are wearing out quickly.
I think this is what Adam wants to avoid doing reading his original post, I would too purely on aesthetic grounds really

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:21 pm

Ugh. Sorry.

I also have something similar to what was requested - a 1/2" recessed hex nut with o-ring on the inside of the pot. However, I also have a washer between the tap and the pot on the outside. I think from memory it didn't seal completely without the washer. A larger pot than my 33 litre one may have a greater radius and not need that though.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Fastline
Hollow Legs

Post by Fastline » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:19 pm

I've ordered some nuts from China with the O ring groove in them to do my pots

I may weld the sockets in, will see how time goes

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:26 pm

Jocky wrote:Angel Home Brew have good instructions on what you need for tap fitting:

http://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/en/conte ... structions

The parts are as follows:

2 or 3 piece Tap
1/2" BSP parallel nipple (35mm)
1/2" BSP Ftting Stainless Steel Form B Washer x2
M27 Stainless Steel Form B Washer
1/2" Silicone O Ring
1/2" BSP Full Socket
1/2" BSP Hex Nut

To follow up on this - with my 33 litre pots the system above doesn't seal properly. It leaks between the very outer washer and the tap.

So I actually went with the o-ring on the inside of the pot and a recessed but over the top of it. On the outside I have a 1/2" washer and the tap, but I reckon the washer is probably surplus to requirements.