Easier bottling

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Easier bottling

Post by JamesF » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:22 pm

Bottling suits me for all sorts of reasons, but on Sunday I filled over 120 bottles and I can't deny it was pretty tedious. So I've been idly looking for alternative bottle-filling methods.

I see Brew UK do a three-bottle filler, but the feedback is mixed. I can see how it works I think though I can't work out how the syphons are primed. Has anyone tried it?

Are there any other options for bottling that aren't hideously expensive?

James

bquiggerz

Re: Easier bottling

Post by bquiggerz » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:01 pm

Make your own? Some syphons, bottling wands and a piece of wood?

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:07 pm

I use the Blichmann beer gun. It's awesome.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:08 pm

Yup I'll second that, works a treat, I just put the priming sugar in the keg, shake it, and beer gun the beer into bottles.

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:25 pm

I find it a lot easier with 2 or 3 people. I've also considered 2 taps on an fv 2 wands away we go

JonoT
Piss Artist

Post by JonoT » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:26 am

sbond10 wrote:I find it a lot easier with 2 or 3 people. I've also considered 2 taps on an fv 2 wands away we go
That's exactally what I've done. I've got 2 wands so fill 2 bottles at a time. I also invite a couple of friends, apply them with beer and they help bottle, makes a fun evening, well as fun as it can be!

JonoT

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:33 am

Way beyond my technical scope, but this may be of interest to you.
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/p ... ng-system/

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:47 am

JonoT wrote:
sbond10 wrote:I find it a lot easier with 2 or 3 people. I've also considered 2 taps on an fv 2 wands away we go
That's exactally what I've done. I've got 2 wands so fill 2 bottles at a time. I also invite a couple of friends, apply them with beer and they help bottle, makes a fun evening, well as fun as it can be!

JonoT
Is that on a standard 23 litre fv any pics ?

JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by JamesF » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:58 am

Those who are using several bottling wands at the same time, do you fill all the bottles at the same time (eg with the wands held in a block of wood or something) and hope they all have the same flow rate, or are they separate? If the latter and you're bottling by yourself, do you just use each one independently and make sure they don't "catch up with each other"?

James

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:34 pm

chris2012 wrote:Yup I'll second that, works a treat, I just put the priming sugar in the keg, shake it, and beer gun the beer into bottles.
I force carb then squirt it in.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

JonoT
Piss Artist

Post by JonoT » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:39 pm

JamesF wrote:Those who are using several bottling wands at the same time, do you fill all the bottles at the same time (eg with the wands held in a block of wood or something) and hope they all have the same flow rate, or are they separate? If the latter and you're bottling by yourself, do you just use each one independently and make sure they don't "catch up with each other"?

James
I have both wands fixed to my bottling pan. I syphon from fermenter into bottling pan and there add priming sugar and have on edge of table and then fill 2 bottles at a time. That way I can stop either one as soon its full. I find that they fill at different rates!