A Warning to anybody thinking of purchasing these !

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
daddies-beer-factory

A Warning to anybody thinking of purchasing these !

Post by daddies-beer-factory » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:15 pm

Just a warning to anybody thinking of buying the used kegs from the homebrew company.

I decided to buy the 3 for 100 euros, which worked out at about £82 plus a small amount for shipping, however when the kegs arrived I was dissapointed.

All 3 kegs are badly scuffed & would need a good polish with a power tool, & 2 out of the 3 have really bad dents where they have been thrown around.

I emailed them (they are in Ireland but have an English and an Irish web site), he said I could return them (by law internet companies have to within 7 days)

However it was £55 return postage for 3 corny kegs to the republic of Ireland. I asked for a goodwill payment but that was ignored .

BUYERS BEWARE !!! I am stuck with 3 corny kegs that should have been described as spares or repair/ damaged

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/a-u ... -2796.html

:( :( :(

chris2012
Under the Table

Re: A Warning to anybody thinking of purchasing these !

Post by chris2012 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:22 pm

Darn :(

Do you mind posting photos of the dents?

I was thinking of getting some at some point.

asd

Post by asd » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:30 pm

That's around £27 each. That is a remarkably good price for a stainless steel pressure vessel of about 20 litre capacity.

I wouldn't worry about a few scratches on the outside, or a few minor dents - let's see pictures, is it more than just cosmetic? Remember, these things have had a life before being retired and sold to us lot.. :D

I'd be worried if they were damaged internally, leaked, etc., but wouldn't worry too much about cosmetic - but then again I haven't seen the dents and scratches.

The bottom line for me would be "Do they work?"

Coffeeuk
Piss Artist

Post by Coffeeuk » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:32 pm

That's unlucky, I've had 6 from them 5 of which were spot on and 1 had a damaged post which made it unusable, I told him and got a full refund for it.

Post pictures and let's see how bad they are, in most cases the kegs can be cheaply sorted. Don't worry too much about them being shiny.

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:54 pm

I got five back in April, all working well and I'm very pleased. A couple look barely used, other have loads of scuffs. TBH, I never gave a second thought to the appearance and expected them all to be "cosmetically challenged". I think there was a major thread on these cornies, someone got a new set of seals when one of theirs wouldn't hold pressure.

They're advertised as being able to take over 100psi pressure. If one of more won't do that you should be able to get them collected/get refunds/postage if there's a split in the steel for instance, or ask for new seals if a leak occurs there.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/ ... eu-country
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:23 pm

pics please :) the outside being scuffed dirty and dented is no biggy, pressure filling beyond 60 psi can blow out many dents.. its the internals that matter and new seals dont cost much..

None of my cornies are polished and pretty and i have paid £35-£65 for each of mine over the years..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Rhodesy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:00 pm

I bought 2 of these a couple of months back and like most others they have some dents on the outside and a lot of stickers over them. I replaced the o-rings and cleaned them up as best I could. After a good deep clean to get the lemonade syrup smell go away they work fine. So much so I have 3 more coming for Christmas :)

daddies-beer-factory

Post by daddies-beer-factory » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:12 pm

Last edited by daddies-beer-factory on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

daddies-beer-factory

Post by daddies-beer-factory » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:20 pm

It wont let me display the photos
Last edited by daddies-beer-factory on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigrichlock
Hollow Legs

Post by bigrichlock » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:24 pm

The big dents will pop out when pressurised, small ones are nothing to worry about as long as the inside looks good i.e. no cracks, if they hold pressure they are fine. Yes there not the best examples but you are buying them for next to nothing.

I think your expectations are a little high. If you want shiney new kegs buy them for 80 quid each from the malt miller.

If you are really not happy with them i will buy them off you for 20 quid each :-)

Cheers

Rich

cerbera84
Piss Artist

Post by cerbera84 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:42 pm

I ordered two of these such kegs - yes, one was slightly dented but both seal fine and scrubbed up well. IMO for the price its a good deal. If my keezer was larger, I would be ordering some more
Planning: BrewEasy system build; possibly a Wychwood Hobgoblin Gold clone
Fermenting: Simcoe SMASH
Drinking: Cascade Centennial Pale

demig
Hollow Legs

Post by demig » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:49 pm

I got 3 also a bit scuffed but with a quick clean and new seals they will do the job nicely. I am well chuffed with mine, it's a cracking price and the kegs are not on show anyway.

Stanna
Steady Drinker

Post by Stanna » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:12 pm

I bought 8 from them in dribs and drabs and they all came holding pressure and work 100%, all show signs of a previous life but if you want to display them on the mantle piece then buy some new ones :bonk

YeastFace Brew Co.

Post by YeastFace Brew Co. » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:19 pm

I have one. Sure it was a bit scuffed and had a dent in the bottom, but they are used - hence the price. I've had no issues with it and would happily buy another.