commando sockets – Fuse ?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Re: commando sockets – Fuse ?

Post by themadhippy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:33 pm

i wouldnt want to be wiring artic flex directly to any elements unless its covered in heat proof sleaving,and even though its called "flex" it aint very flexible,ho7 rubber is my goto cable, but would still use sleaving if wiring directly to an element,and il certsinly wouldnt put 30A down a bit of 2.5mm artic, 4 mm at least
any appliance less than 750w should be protected by a 3A fuse and 13A up to 3kw
can you point me in the direction of either the electrical regs or bs code that requires this, all i can find is the e that states that any reduction in the current carrying capacity of a cable must be protected by a suitable protective device,its this reg and the use of ring final circuits that are protected by a 30A/32A fuses thatt requires us to use fuses in plugs,uless you want to start running 4mm flex.Once the lecktrickery gets into the appliance its down to the manufactores to provide suitable protection to prevent the magic smoke escaping.
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

Waffty
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: commando sockets – Fuse ?

Post by Waffty » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:44 am

themadhippy wrote:il certsinly wouldnt put 30A down a bit of 2.5mm artic, 4 mm at least.
I wasn't suggesting you put 32A down the 2.5mm artic? If it's taken from my posting, you'll see that I was suggesting you use 2.5mm cable to take a 2400W load ie circa 10.5A load. Or potentially you can move up to a 3000W load using the same setup. My reference also states, to take the orginal 32A load and split it into two 16A supplies both fed with 2.5mm flex. So if he had two 2400W elements, both backed out to two separate 16A breakers, both of which were fed by two separate lengths of 2.5mm flex to his mini dis board. Then I he should be fine up to loads of 3000W.

2.5mm should be good for 20A and may be even 27A provided it's not buried in the wall or in a conduit, so at 10.5A for 2400W or circa 13.5A for 3000W you should be fine.

The reference to 30A on 2.5mm was taken out of the eBay listing, so whilst it may be technically possible to achieve this, I certainly would try it. As for 32A services, I'd always go for 6mm. (Orginal post amended to avoid confusion).
Fermenting - Nothing
Conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Tea
Planning - Everything, if only I had the time ... !!