Fermentation temperature control

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.

Hi All,
33%
I was wondering if anybody had any ideas for temperature control equipment; I am not handy enough to build my own fridge cooler and the temperature in my flat fluctuates too much to get a constant fermentation.
No votes
I was going to buy a brewjacket from the US but was wondering if there was any alternative as the importation /duty is pretty costly
No votes
Any advice greatly received
No votes
Ian
67%

Total votes: 3

iandiggs

Post by iandiggs » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:25 pm

Hi All,

I was wondering if anybody had any ideas for temperature control equipment; I am not handy enough to build my own fridge cooler and the temperature in my flat fluctuates too much to get a constant fermentation.
I was going to buy a brewjacket from the US but was wondering if there was any alternative as the importation /duty is pretty costly
Any advice greatly received

Ian

iandiggs

Re: Fermentation temperature control

Post by iandiggs » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:26 pm

Sorry..Meant to say Fermentation temperature control.

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:02 pm

buy a fridge , and a tube heater to suite , then plug them both into one of These

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:39 am

Im useless at DIY but was able to sort a ferm fridge out myself...if I can do it literally anyone can. Give it a go

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:51 pm

I'd second the fridge, tube heater, and Inkbird temp controller. That's what I've just done, and the most complicated thing I had to do was fashion a frame for the fermenter to sit on (I got my fridge from a recycling centre, and they had already binned the shelves).

alix101
Under the Table

Post by alix101 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:33 pm

If you don't have room for a brew fridge or the desire to build one then a heat mat or brew belt will do for heating cooling is more difficult I'd did see a video on you tube of somone using a big tub of water with a fish tank heater in it ....seemed to work....it was brewing tv Watch "Brewing TV - Episode 37: Happiness is a Warm Carboy" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/ZcCcD6Wl4XI
"Everybody should belive in something : and I belive I'll have another drink".

dbg400
Steady Drinker

Post by dbg400 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:49 pm

I've had a couple of heating solutions that have worked well. The first was a waterbath (garden trug) and aquarium heater. Fine for garage use but maybe a bit messy for indoors. The next (and current) was a Fermentemp - temperature controlled warming plate (won in an online comp - too pricey to justify buying though).

Both methods do the job, but are only heating solutions. Neither is much use in summer :( I'm currently waiting on an Inkbird 308 to arrive, so I can complete my brew fridge. This one is probably overkill for a flat, but means I can do two brews at a time, or pop a couple of the shelves back in to accommodate a batch of bottles for secondary fermentation, whilst the latest brew is doing primary. As I have the space, and got it free from a mate, I'm not going to complain :)
BrewFridge.jpg

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:58 pm

If you are just using wooden "slats" that are not supported underneath beware of shrinkage when chilling, the last thing you want is you getting all the way to about to bottle your brew and the fermenter come crashing down when you crash chill just prior.

dbg400
Steady Drinker

Post by dbg400 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:08 pm

They are quite a snug fit, and joined to create a rigid shelf. The bottom ones do have extra support as the heater is now mounted on a frame. It's the bottom shelf that I'm expecting to use (less lifting involved) but it's handy to know I could double up production if needed** It'll be getting a 'dry' run with just water to see how much the temperature varies before being entrusted with a brew, though :)

**Mind you I have an offer of another fridge, but just an under counter one this time.

dbg400
Steady Drinker

Post by dbg400 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:14 pm

BrewFridge2.jpg
And here's the brew fridge in action, with a bottled Amarillo blonde in secondary fermentation and a five hop IPA in the fermenter. You might just be able to make out the InkBird controller on the side. I'll fix the cables in place with tape or ducting once I'm happy with the placement.