Stainless Pots

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Jenno
Sober

Stainless Pots

Post by Jenno » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:05 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm an Aussie that has been in the UK for nearly a couple of years now, I started brewing back in OZ and now need to start brewing again!!

I'm in the process of getting a setup back together and now need a pot. I am thinking 50L will give me the most flexibiilty when I might want to do a big belgain, RIS, IPA etc.

I'm looking at the pots from Angel Homebrew, Maltmiller and BrewBuilder. The brewbuilder pot that I was looking at was the premium as I will be going electric and proably don't need the sandwich base for gas or induction cooktops.

If anybody has any feedback or advice on any of these pots or recommedation for others it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Jenno

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: Stainless Pots

Post by Kev888 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:39 pm

Hello, and welcome!

50L sounds good if you're doing single 20-23L batches - I'm assuming you intend to BIAB? FWIW though some of your fellow countrymen (who took up BIAB a bit before here) seem to favour 70L for versatility - I guess in case you may try to do double-batches or seriously high gravities (without sugar/extract supplements).

I've had several of the cheaper stock pots for various uses, which IMO are fine - light to move around and perfectly fit for purpose with immersed electric elements or even (diffused) gas flames. But they are thin, so they dent fairly easily if you bash them and rust/pin-holes over (quite a bit of) time could become significant. I've no experience of the higher quality ones though I know others on here do, so hopefully they'll chip in.
Kev

Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Secla » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:47 pm

thinking of selling my hlt.
50l with stainless 2.4kw element and site tube, all bits were purchased from angel homebrew.

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:09 pm

If you go induction, you won't regret it!

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:18 am

If you aren't going BIAB I would go for a set up like mine, which is a 3v system 50 MT and 2 x 70 for HLT and kettle. You can do anything up to 50 litres unless you want a really big beer in those quantities, most tend to go smaller in quantity with a big beer. This size is a sweet spot for flexibility.

I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:31 am

If price is a factor I highly recommend the cheaper stainless pots from Homebrew Builder and their 2.4kw kettle elements. Takes about 30-40 mins to bring my 33l pot up to boil with 1 element but I get a really strong boil, and that's outside in the winter.

Jenno
Sober

Post by Jenno » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:01 am

[quote="Kev888"]Hello, and welcome!

50L sounds good if you're doing single 20-23L batches - I'm assuming you intend to BIAB? FWIW though some of your fellow countrymen (who took up BIAB a bit before here) seem to favour 70L for versatility - I guess in case you may try to do double-batches or seriously high gravities (without sugar/extract supplements).

I've had several of the cheaper stock pots for various uses, which IMO are fine - light to move around and perfectly fit for purpose with immersed electric elements or even (diffused) gas flames. But they are thin, so they dent fairly easily if you bash them and rust/pin-holes over (quite a bit of) time could become significant. I've no experience of the higher quality ones though I know others on here do, so hopefully they'll chip in.[/quote]

[quote="orlando"]If you aren't going BIAB I would go for a set up like mine, which is a 3v system 50 MT and 2 x 70 for HLT and kettle. You can do anything up to 50 litres unless you want a really big beer in those quantities, most tend to go smaller in quantity with a big beer. This size is a sweet spot for flexibility.[/quote]

Thanks guys,

Plan at the moment is to start back with BIAB, which is what I was doing in OZ albeit with a bit of a bastardized scaled down stove top method, then slowly build up something similar to Orlando's system loosely based on the electric brewery site but with a few of my own tweaks (but that is a way off as will need a bit more space, money and time to build).

Might need to look into a 70Lt pot which could be big enough to give me the flexibility to do doable batches when I get the 3V system organized.

Orlando, where did you source your pots from? Are you happy with the quality?

daf

Post by daf » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:14 am

Hello - I got a 50 litre pot from Malt Miller a couple of years ago - with a tap and hop strainer included - for about £85. It's a solid pot! I used it on the wok hob for the first few months but now outside on a propane burner. (Peace and quiet...)

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:31 pm

Jenno wrote:
Orlando, where did you source your pots from? Are you happy with the quality?
Brewbuilder, he did all the conversions, because I'm practically useless. :roll: He will supply all the bits though if you want to DIY, he might even cut the holes as well, fairly sure I've seen mention of it. He has supplied a lot of Guys on here and the quality/price is very competitive.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer