Gas burner ring for 100L pot

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Gas burner ring for 100L pot

Post by Haydnexport » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:04 pm

As the title really , what output gas ring will bring 80l of wort to boiling in a reasonable time , say 30 mins from 60c? id prefer a safety cut out one

stevej383

Re: Gas burner ring for 100L pot

Post by stevej383 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:48 pm

Im hoping its 7.5kw as i have purchased a 3 vessel system from PowellBrewing, and that what my kit came with still yet to use it as i have been waiting for a 3 tier stand to be welded up at work to try it out [-o<

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:58 pm

My 8kw takes longer then 30 mins to get 40L to boiling from 65C. I would go for one of the more powerful paella burners.

https://www.thepaellacompany.co.uk/high ... urner.html

You would probably have to make your own stand unless you were brave enough to trust the legs on these.

gobuchul

Post by gobuchul » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:23 pm

I use a 7.5kw one from the Malt Miller with a 70 litre pot. It manages 50litre boils pretty quickly.

http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.ph ... ductId=422

Haydnexport

Post by Haydnexport » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:38 pm

I've already got a 7.5kw one for my current 40l boils , not too impressed with it. What do you guys insulate your pots with ?

That paella one looks great, I can weld up a stand for it no problem.

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:10 pm

Fag pack calculation says 7.5kW burner will do the job precisely - but taking account of losses and imperfect heat transfer, I'd go for an 8.5kW burner myself. Bigger burners will be quicker, but losses are greater too and gas ain't free...

Make sure the wind shielding etc is as good as you can make it - insulating the pot is difficult when flame heating
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

GrowlingDogBeer
Even further under the Table

Post by GrowlingDogBeer » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:09 pm

I had no problem using a 7.5kw burner bringing 50L to the boil. It took about 30 minutes to get up to the boil post sparge.

You can easily lose heat if you don't have good wind breaks. I boiled inside a garage with good air circulation, but it wasn't drafty, I think that made a big difference compared to boiling outside.

paulindevon

Post by paulindevon » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:34 pm

I bought a 7.5kW burner recently and had a discussion with the local Calor dealer about the most appropriate regulator. He told me that anything above this output would require a commercial regulator which lets gas through at a much greater rate. you might want to talk to Calor about what is possible before investing the dollar

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:54 pm

http://gasproducts.co.uk/reca-912-0-5-4 ... 0wodKcIEnw

Bet it can empty a 48Kg cylinder quickly :lol:
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:38 am

iirc Aleman uses gas with big volume boilers maximising efficiency employing shrouds to contain the pot/burner and minimise heatloss due to draughts and gusting..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

paulindevon

Post by paulindevon » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:42 am

Thanks pinto. Just ordered one of those. Sounds like you have just shortened my brew day by about an hour !

Haydnexport

Post by Haydnexport » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:45 am

I'm not really fussed about cost, I just don't want to go electric as cleaning is a pain.

Haydnexport

Post by Haydnexport » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:14 pm

apologies for double posting, pinto, is that propane regulator completely adjustable or is it pre configured adjustments click to 1bar, then 2 bar type of thing? And secondly i looked at the paella burner and it looked like a very small flame, like the brewing vessel had to be really close to it?

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:09 pm

From the looks of it , its a needle valve, so infinite adjustment. IIRC there's one on the same site that has a pressure gauge on it so you can be a little more precise in the adjustment. The Paella burners get their high output from having multiple flame jets, and yes, the pans are usually close to the burner - so a decent heatshield/flame capture rim will be needed for optimal use

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:03 am

Something like 8kw (give or take) is normal, but people's results vary quite a bit because losses make a 'huge' difference with gas; the power rating of the burner can mean diddly if a breeze is allowed in or if the burner is too large in diameter and pours much of the heat past the sides (like the medium/large paella burners). Wind shields and shrouds are well worth investigating IMO, just getting more powerful burners can bring diminishing returns.

Its also true that some regulators can struggle to achieve sufficient throughput, even if rated at the correct pressure. There are high flow-rate types and some people use slightly higher pressure ones too, such as 50mbar instead of 37mbar. FWIW I have an adjustable one similar to that Pinto linked to (though a different brand) - even the min official pressure is 10x more than needed and the max is ridiculously OTT, but I was happy to find mine at least can be turned right down. Which is important, because excessive flow uses loads more gas for very little gain in heating rate.
Kev