BrewPi Help

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
AnthonyUK

Re: BrewPi Help

Post by AnthonyUK » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:01 am

beerbeerbeer wrote:Cheers guys. I already use an stc1000 and a kingspan box. This is just a fun project. I think the catering fridge as suggested by aleman may be the eventual answer. Or two smaller FVs!!
I picked up a tall Beko larder fridge on Ebay for £30ish.
It's been running continuosly for 5 years now.

Image Image

beerbeerbeer

Post by beerbeerbeer » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:41 pm

Looks good! Regarding the brewpi interface... i can access it via the ip address, but not by typing http://brewpi into a browser (as suggested in the instructions on the wiki). Anyone know what step ive missed? Id also like to get my old android phone working as the display...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:02 pm

You need a way to resolve the domain name to an IP address. I've no idea how the brewpi wiki suggest setting it up. It won't just magically work. This is what a DNS server does.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:26 pm

Probably have to add it to your hosts file but I would just bookmark the IP and access it via the bookmark.

beerbeerbeer

Post by beerbeerbeer » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:36 pm

Cheers both. I think ill stick with the ip address. Got the phone displaying the lcd text too. It was easier than it seemed at first (following the instructions thrown up by a google search)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:19 pm

rpt wrote:You need a way to resolve the domain name to an IP address. I've no idea how the brewpi wiki suggest setting it up. It won't just magically work. This is what a DNS server does.

They are probably setting up a MDNS server on the BrewPi ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicast_DNS ) which should cut in and resolve the hostname before hitting the external, internet DNS servers. I've got a Pi with another couple of applications that implement MDNS and it does work, *but* it doesn't work with a lot of phone browsers e.g. chrome on android. Chrome on a PC works fine however.
Dan!

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:24 am

Your RPi should be running zeroconf/Bonjour, which will announce the device on the network. However for this to be useful on a PC you need to either have iTunes installed or go and install Bonjour print services from apple. Then you can access your Pi like http://raspberrypi.local. Or else just assign a static IP in your Pi (easy enough - make sure it is not in your router's DHCP range), which is what I do.