Cooler box mash tun piping

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Leard
Tippler

Cooler box mash tun piping

Post by Leard » Sun May 22, 2016 10:47 am

So I'm trying to create a cooler box mash tun. I've got a Thermos cooler box and I'm just struggling how to go about connecting the outside tap to the copper manifold inside. I've seen this ball valve tap:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/full-bore-lev ... 15mm/80413

And these tank connectors:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/tank-coupler-15mm/82376
http://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-preste ... 15mm/6146g

Firstly what are the differences between the connectors, secondly which is the one I need, and thirdly how this all connects. So the copper manifold in the box needs to connect to one end of the tank connector, and then the tap on the other end.

Cheers!

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Cooler box mash tun piping

Post by Fil » Sun May 22, 2016 4:09 pm

the usual trick is to geat a standard 15mm compression tank connector eithe of the ones you linked to will do and then modify with either a file or 15mm drill bit as to remove the pipe stop so you can shove a length of 15mm copper tube all the way through,, then you can use standard fittings to connect to the tube on the inside and outside of the tun ;).. iirc the copper kettle online brewshop sells predrilled tank connectors for a modest premium..

the valve you linked to is intended for gas use so the brass its made of may not conform to the low/zero lead regs.
Best imho to source a valve intended for hot potable water.

my #1 tip would be to remove enough of the outer skinso you can seal the tank connector to the inner skin only, then once sealed onto a length of tube build up the gap in the insulation with sucsessive layers of decorators caulk to support the pipework in the void.

trying to create a seal between both the inner and outer skins will be tricky and probably require a hard sealing spacer to be inserted..

not a bad idea to pull the inner skin 1st and upgrade the insulation with added bubblewrap and mylar or whatever you can,,, ps dont forget the lid void too ;) .
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

BenB

Re: Cooler box mash tun piping

Post by BenB » Sun May 22, 2016 7:06 pm

I found that the 1/2" stainless parallel nipple from the home brew shop has an I/D almost exactly the same as the O/D of a 15mm copper pipe so banged a 15mm pipe through the nipple and did away with the brass. I went straight from my copper pipe manifold through the nipple into the 15mm three piece valve. I did used an olive and a nut on the outside of the nipple but basically it's brass free. The nipple I sealed with two 1/2" nuts, two washers and a dowty on the outside.