Brewery/bar/seating area

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
chefgage
Hollow Legs

Brewery/bar/seating area

Post by chefgage » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:54 pm

As many on here have done I am moving out of the kitchen and building myself a permanent brewery setup. I have an out building that has just been used as a storage area for many years. Every year I say I will get started and get renovating the building.

The building I have to work with is approx 23' by 10' (internally). I am going to build the brewery/bar area at the back and then towards the front have a seating area with big screen tv, jukebox etc..

I thought I would post the progress on here so it may give others a few ideas (as the many builds on here have done for me!).

Here is the building as it stands now.
IMG_0682.JPG
This is obviously looking from the front. The side and inside are shown next.
IMG_0684.JPG
Games room.JPG
IMG_0689.JPG
The first step on this project is to replace the front aluminium sliding doors with upvc french doors, these will open onto a largish decking area. A lintel is required for this which should be fitted soon and then the frech doors can be fitted. Around the same time the side aluminium window and wooden door will be replaced with a upvc door and window.

After the doors and windows have been fitted I will need to dig a trench from this building to the house so a drain, water supply and possible electrical supply upgrade can be installed. The decking can then be installed.

Feel free to give me any advice on the way. This project has been a long time coming so I want to get it right. It will be a slow progress due to the cost but I will keep this updated as and when things happen.

Cheers everyone :beer:

Seem to have an extra picture that I cannot get rid of, oh well :D
Attachments
IMG_0684.JPG

KevH
Steady Drinker

Re: Brewery/bar/seating area

Post by KevH » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:48 pm

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops. Good luck with the venture.

Kev.

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:54 pm

Defininetly looking forward to finally starting this project. Its going to be great to have a large permenent set up.

In the meantime the black dustbin in the inside photo is currently full of maris otter ready for brewing on monday

ArmChair
Under the Table

Post by ArmChair » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:14 pm

That's some building!
What's taken so long? ;)
FV1 AG#95 Farwell Freddy
FV2
FV3
FV4
Litres Brewed in :
2013 - 655
2014 - 719
2015 - 726
2016 - 74
Started BIAB 11/02/2013

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:55 am

ArmChair wrote:That's some building!
What's taken so long? ;)
Money, or lack if it, thats why its taken so long to start. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I should be able to report some progress!

ArmChair
Under the Table

Post by ArmChair » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:38 am

That's usually the case!

I have the ideas, just no money to back them up lol
FV1 AG#95 Farwell Freddy
FV2
FV3
FV4
Litres Brewed in :
2013 - 655
2014 - 719
2015 - 726
2016 - 74
Started BIAB 11/02/2013

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:58 am

ArmChair wrote:That's usually the case!

I have the ideas, just no money to back them up lol
:lol: In my head I have already spent thousands on this and that, usually some very shiney brewing vessels that are far too big to go in there!

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:16 pm

Just a few updates.

I have the aluminium sliding doors, window and wooden door replaced with upvc now. Also I have made a start on painting the wooden fascias at the front. The next job is to paint the fascias at the back and sides then try and clean up the guttering. The guttering is covered in green algae that is difficult to remove. If it will not clean up I am going to replace it.
Some of the cement under the verge tiles has also started to come away. I am toying with the idea of removing it and installing dry verge capping that is being installed everywhere it seems (although I cannot make my mind up if it looks tacky or not?)

Anyway here are some pictures of the new doors and windows.
IMG_0777.JPG
IMG_0778.JPG
IMG_0780.JPG

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:36 pm

im a roofer , my advice is to do away with the cement pointing, sooner or later it will 100% rot the ends of your battens forcing you to replace 1m of it from your verge . Go on the nfrc for approved contractors as there are a million cowboys about at the moment , especially when it comes to pointing / verges and such .i wouldn't recommend dry ridge though. Bleach is good for dealing with algae , use a garden sprayer and apply generously so it wont dry out quickly , night is probably best in this weather.

nice conversion by the way , im hoping to do something similar soon

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:54 am

Haydnexport wrote:im a roofer , my advice is to do away with the cement pointing, sooner or later it will 100% rot the ends of your battens forcing you to replace 1m of it from your verge . Go on the nfrc for approved contractors as there are a million cowboys about at the moment , especially when it comes to pointing / verges and such .i wouldn't recommend dry ridge though. Bleach is good for dealing with algae , use a garden sprayer and apply generously so it wont dry out quickly , night is probably best in this weather.

nice conversion by the way , im hoping to do something similar soon
When you say do away with the cement pointing, what do you recomend i replace it with? Also any reason for not recomending dry verge caps or whatever there called?

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:40 pm

i highly recommend dry verge , plenty of choice these days and they fit better. Its the dry ridge , for the ridge capping tiles i wouldnt recommend

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:43 pm

Haydnexport wrote:i highly recommend dry verge , plenty of choice these days and they fit better. Its the dry ridge , for the ridge capping tiles i wouldnt recommend
Ah I see, thanks for that. I think i have convinced myself to install the dry verge.

I should have plenty more updates soon as I have a couple of weeks off work so I should get plenty done.

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:19 pm

I seriously need to update this thread, did not realise that its been that long. Although technically i still have not started on the 'actual' brewing equipment I have been concentrating on the outside of the brewery/bar area.

I said before that theee would be a decking area to sit on and enjoy the brewed beer, well I am just on with that now. The reason for the delay - after a few too many beers i decided to build a pergola over the decking. Well this turned into a mega build, well for me anyway.

Lots if pics to follow.

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:39 pm

Finally something to update. Although not strictly brewing equipment I want to get the outside of the bar area/brewery to be sorted before summer. That way there will be somewhere to sit as the inside of the building gets done.

Anyway I decided to build a pergola over the decking area. This has been done, just waiting on some non rainy weather to complete the decking.
IMG_1274.JPG
IMG_1279.JPG

Hogarth
Under the Table

Post by Hogarth » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:56 am

Looking good there. =D> Hops would love that pergola.