FV's

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
monkeymullins
Steady Drinker

FV's

Post by monkeymullins » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:48 pm

I'm looking to get a new FV as my DIY new style Coopers ones have scratches on the bottom. Question I ask is, I obviously want a good one and if possible scratch resistant. Any ideas and what are you guys using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davew
Piss Artist

Re: FV's

Post by davew » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:54 pm

Have a look at the Speidel 30l ones German quality so should be good, not cheat at £35 though.

Or a cheaper option would be the white bins from copper kettle.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
Fermenting: Wilkos Cider
Drinking: Wilkos Hoppy Copper (very nice)

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:40 pm

I've used "yorkshire squares" quite sucessfully - and by that, I mean the 30L underbed storage boxes with lids they sell in Tescos and other supermarkets - not bad for £6 a piece. Just make sure you check for the "5" inside a recycling symbol ( or "PP") along with a food safe logo - most have them tho.

Im currently looking at ways of modifying stainless stockpots as a long term ultimate answer tho. Not the cheapest by far - but they should last a lifetime.
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:13 pm

I have several Speidel 20l fermenters.

They're plastic so will scratch up eventually, but in every other way they're bomb proof - thick plastic, lids and seals that hold pressure and sturdy carrying handles.

https://homebrewshop.be/en/25-fermenters-plastic
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

monkeymullins
Steady Drinker

Post by monkeymullins » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:46 pm

Is it worth getting the grainfather stainless steel FV? I know the cost is high but long term, it could be a saving right plus less chance of infections?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:55 am

Absolutely not.The grainfather FV is completely overpriced and is for fanboys who have a GF and want a matching set.

Stainless pots can be had from about £20, or less. See Home Brew Builder (Mr Lard) and get one of his. For that price, you could have an FV with temp control which is the ideal you want to get to.

In the short term though.... the scratches don't make much difference, my coopers one is scratched to hell and still my favourite little FV, no problems, just make sure you clean it with a sponge, hot water and some kind of sanitiser. With a stainless FV, you can use steam which is much better again :D

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:25 pm

I used steam a couple of times on the blue mango barrel I had off eBay. That thing stank for weeks! I know they've been used for fermentation. Mine is a grain store.