Broken my sight glass...

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
UpTheToon
Piss Artist

Broken my sight glass...

Post by UpTheToon » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:57 pm

Damn it.

I had a slight leak from my sight glass so before a brew day tomorrow I took it apart to clean and retape before reassembling it.

I've sheared the poly tube off in the elbow.

Does anyone know what size bolt I need (preferably from screwfix) that I can go out and get to seal up the hole and let me brew tomorrow still?!

I have the brew builder sight glass. I figure if I use the existing parts that go inside the pot and thread a bolt on the outside where the elbow would usually go I could still brew tomorrow...

UpTheToon
Piss Artist

Re: Broken my sight glass...

Post by UpTheToon » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:08 pm

hmm... ok so they are 1/4 BSP I think so

http://www.screwfix.com/p/female-socket-x/77539
http://www.screwfix.com/p/male-flanged-plug-x/74849

Those two will hopefully do it.

edgearsenal
Piss Artist

Post by edgearsenal » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:47 pm

Just seen this hopefully not to late. I have a brew builder sight glass tube and snapped it as well. I got a length of syphon tube and wrapped PTFE tape round the end and wedged it back in to the elbow. Not a perfect fix but it allowed me to brew and have done two more brews like it since. Did the screw fix parts work? I would like to cap the hole of and etch the pot in future.

UpTheToon
Piss Artist

Post by UpTheToon » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:09 pm

edgearsenal wrote:Just seen this hopefully not to late. I have a brew builder sight glass tube and snapped it as well. I got a length of syphon tube and wrapped PTFE tape round the end and wedged it back in to the elbow. Not a perfect fix but it allowed me to brew and have done two more brews like it since. Did the screw fix parts work? I would like to cap the hole of and etch the pot in future.
Yep, the parts worked. Seem to be watertight. I'm not sure brass is the best to have touching your beer but it's only a tiny bit...

Not sure I'll bother with the hassle and expense of replacing the glass yet.