Boiler steam extraction

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Boiler steam extraction

Post by sbond10 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:38 pm

After a recent upgrade of the brewzebo to a full brew shed. I'm now considering steam extraction. I'd prefer none electrical methods anyone got any ideas, I've been offered some flexible ducting, just trying to find the poster that did something with a piece of persect

Thanks in advance

Sean

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Boiler steam extraction

Post by barneey » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:51 pm

Still electrical, but open window & fan is easy and effective.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

BenB

Post by BenB » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:50 pm

Increasingly I'm coming round to the idea that the best option for a brewshed would be a fume-cupboard kind or arrangement with a HEPA filtered fan on the inlet. I suspect sheds have a much higher level of moulds and wild yeast compared to brewing in the house.

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:57 pm

Probably right but double glazed and insulated i.e. draft proof houses tend to have high levels of all kinds of nastynes.

Aamcle

GAZ9053
Piss Artist

Post by GAZ9053 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:08 pm

sbond10 wrote:After a recent upgrade of the brewzebo to a full brew shed. I'm now considering steam extraction. I'd prefer none electrical methods anyone got any ideas, I've been offered some flexible ducting, just trying to find the poster that did something with a piece of persect

Thanks in advance

Sean
Like this

JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by JamesF » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:48 pm

What size boiler are you going to be using? You can get away with something far smaller on a boiler for 25l batches than you'll need for, say, 100l.

James

BenB

Post by BenB » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:11 pm

If you do go for the type shown make sure you remove it before the end of the boil - water will condense in the flexible hosing and drip down into the beer. The inside of the hose will be far from sanitary.

JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by JamesF » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:15 pm

BenB wrote:If you do go for the type shown make sure you remove it before the end of the boil - water will condense in the flexible hosing and drip down into the beer. The inside of the hose will be far from sanitary.
I'd have thought it would be by the time it has had steam passing through it for an hour or more. Of course it wouldn't be good if it stayed damp for some time after use...

My own "chimney" has a T-piece with a pipe running down into a catch-bucket as soon as it clears the side of the boiler, the intention being that anything running down the rest of the pipework will end up in the bucket rather than in the wort.

James

GAZ9053
Piss Artist

Post by GAZ9053 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:19 pm

Mine too has a u bend just out of shot, that collects any drip back I'm sure the tiny bit before the bend is steamed clean

sbond10
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:00 pm

Yep exactly like that gaz I just dunno how or what I'd need I was planning chimney out 45 Degree angle down and then straight up. With the bottom bit having some sort of drain in it
Again I'm fairly clueless to what ill need.if anyone can draw up a parts list it would be greatly recieved

I brew 23 litre batches in a 100 litre pan starting with around 40 litres so generates alot of water

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:47 am

Fwiw i use a fan to accelerate a natural air flow in through the window out through the door, and while i use quite a large fan (55cm diameter) its only blowing on speed #1 out of 3 for the 100l kettle brews, small brews in the G/F dont even need the fan on..

One non electrical option i was considering If the fan concept simply blew ;) was to steal the idea of a knocking back condenser that folk who distil spirits use but fitting it in the tail end of a Ubend attached to the pot lid with a bucket sat underneath, all the escaping valour would be fed up and round to down into contact with the condenser and get knocked back to water and drip into the bucket ;) the cost being a continual flow of cooling water through the knock back condenser.

Not that i am endorsing the "D" practice or welcoming further discussion on that particular subject, its only that its the source of the concept that could be adapted to brewing

It stands to reason a condenser coil that knocks back all the vapour from a 100l still, would be equally effective with a 100l kettle, so roadmaps exist on the web already..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

GAZ9053
Piss Artist

Post by GAZ9053 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:01 am

sbond10 wrote:Yep exactly like that gaz I just dunno how or what I'd need I was planning chimney out 45 Degree angle down and then straight up. With the bottom bit having some sort of drain in it
Again I'm fairly clueless to what ill need.if anyone can draw up a parts list it would be greatly recieved

I brew 23 litre batches in a 100 litre pan starting with around 40 litres so generates alot of water
I got a piece of 6mm Perspex, 100mm hole for one of these

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/251099120958

Then the duct, just up from boiler I've got a bend then it goes out the window.

With the GF i had to lift the Perspex off the top by 6mm or it starts to boil over.

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:35 am

I use an open window and a desk fan. It works surprisingly well, much better than the hob extractor I used previously.

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:30 am

GAZ9053 wrote:
sbond10 wrote:Yep exactly like that gaz I just dunno how or what I'd need I was planning chimney out 45 Degree angle down and then straight up. With the bottom bit having some sort of drain in it

I got a piece of 6mm Perspex, 100mm hole for one of these

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/251099120958

Then the duct, just up from boiler I've got a bend then it goes out the window.

With the GF i had to lift the Perspex off the top by 6mm or it starts to boil over.
So you basically fit the upside down in the perspex is that right

How do cut perspex

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:40 am

Just seen this

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-Tumbl ... nav=SEARCH

Which might work

Perspex isn't cheap I need a 55cm x55cm piece