2.4 KW Element Fault ?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
vacant
Even further under the Table

Re: 2.4 KW Element Fault ?

Post by vacant » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:11 pm

http://www.pecoservices.co.uk/uk-13aiec ... e-28-p.asp

"This lead is suitable for use with elements up to 2750 watts"
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

Troutman47
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Troutman47 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:56 pm

I've had them from Peco and they overheat/melt as well!

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:07 pm

Troutman47 wrote:I've had them from Peco and they overheat/melt as well!
Was it a loose connection/fitting?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

lord groan

Post by lord groan » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:30 pm

orlando wrote:
lord groan wrote:The C15's in the link are rated for 10A but have a 13A fuse, the 1mm wire is penny pinching really, they could just as easily fit 1.5mm wire to allow the full 13a. Any element above 2400w will draw more than 10A, the fuse won't blow but 1.00mm wiring will start to get warm, that's likely the reason for overheating as well as slack connectors in the plug itself.
I wouldn't use them myself, safer to get 13a ones. (They will be OK with elements under 2400w though)
I'm sure you are right but in operation they do not show the problems you predict. I will keep an eye open as in time you may be proved completely right but my elements are 2.4 so maybe that's why they appear to be OK. My problem with other C15's has been the loose connection, these are very solid. Can you provide a link to ones you prefer to use?
No link I'm afraid, my boiler has 2 elements, it's a burco and I use the existing 13A rated lead for the butterfly element along with a made up one using 13a rated heat resistant cable usually used for immersion heaters on the other.
That said a 2400w watt element should be fine on a 10a lead. There's a bit of leeway in the spec's but I'd rather not use it. Loose fitting connections are a worse problem, poor contact restricts current flow, that causes heat, heat helps oxidise the connectors, that increases resistance in the connection and round you go again. Much the same thing with a cable that's too thin, it gets warm, that heats up the wire, it gets a higher resistance which causes more heat etc etc, the heat conducts along to the connectors, resistance and oxidation/tarnishing build up and scenario 1 above occurs.
I'll stop wittering on now, it's late and im rambling! Apologies if anyone thinks I'm lecturing them, I'm not, it's just train of thought stuff, no offence intended to anybody.
Cheers!
Lg

Troutman47

Post by Troutman47 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:20 am

orlando wrote:
Troutman47 wrote:I've had them from Peco and they overheat/melt as well!
Was it a loose connection/fitting?
Yes it was, all the leads from various sources that I've used over the years have been the same!

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:00 am

lord groan wrote: I'll stop wittering on now, it's late and im rambling! Apologies if anyone thinks I'm lecturing them, I'm not, it's just train of thought stuff, no offence intended to anybody.
Cheers!
Lg
No apology needed, I'm not an electrician but obviously want to work in a safe environment, we handle enough dangerous stuff as it is but water and electricity let alone fire are not a good mix. The point of any forum is a free and honest exchange of ideas so we can arrive at the truth. The reason I asked for a link is that I have been unable to source the exact product you suggest. There are a lot of cheap products about that can lure the unwary or in my case the ignorant. Thanks for your input.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

lord groan

Post by lord groan » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:35 pm

Just been ferreting around, interestingly this plug ( http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1914952.pdf ) is rated at;
10A/250v 50Hz IEC but also at
15A/250V 60Hz UL/CSA.
It has different order codes for differing conductor sizes so presumably slightly meatier?

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:48 am

Had mine back today. These are substantially more beefy than the standard cables. The picture on ebay and their website don't do them justice. Top find orlando!

orlando

Post by orlando » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:04 pm

alexlark wrote:Had mine back today. These are substantially more beefy than the standard cables. The picture on ebay and their website don't do them justice. Top find orlando!
I agree, as luck would have it I had our sparky in last night and he had a look at them and said the cable used is heavy duty, said something like H07 was the quality. Says it on them somewhere and I'm sure the more knowledgeable will correct me. He wasn't concerned at all about them. What he did say, which is maybe crucial, these ones are only 1m long. Longer leads offer more resistance so heat up quicker. That made sense to me because my last lot were at least a metre and a half. That and the loose connection was a recipe for disaster. My only problem now is I bought 4 thinking I would eventually have to replace these two but didn't want to suffer a melt down in the middle of the boil. Always nice to have a spare and as they are very reasonably priced not a financial hit either. =D>

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:19 pm

Good to know. I bought the 2 meter version so I'll report back if it gets warm/hot. I'm going to use it as the main cable and keep the original one as a spare. Cracking quality for the price though.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:26 pm

The H07 spec states:

Heavy duty trailing rubber flexible cable used to power electrical appliances and building sites. Resistant sheath means it can be used in refrigerating installations. Suitable for use in
medium mechanical stress industrial workshop appliances, electrical tools, drills etc.

Voltage: 450/750v

Operating temperature: Maximum 60°C, minimum bending -30°C

BS7919: Electric cables. Flexible cables rated up to 450/750V for use with appliances and
equipment intended for industrial and similar environments
Class 5

Well spec'd I'd say!

orlando

Post by orlando » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:36 pm

alexlark wrote:
Well spec'd I'd say!
Yes, but the point made was that a 10 amp plug with a 13 Amp fuse is not as good as a 13 Amp plug etc. My elements are 2.4kW it was those over this where the spec gets seriously challenged. Looking forward to hearing how your 1.5m leads cope. :lol:

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:44 pm

Mine are 2.4kw too. Cable should be fine. Haven't brewed for a while, gonna be a double IPA next brewday (and cool element cable!) Lol.

Bunglebrewsbeer
Hollow Legs

Post by Bunglebrewsbeer » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:21 pm

I'm just in process of ordering a pan from brewbuilder with 2 x 2.4kw elements. What is the link for the leads you talk of please. As I guess I'll need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orlando

Post by orlando » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:41 pm

Bunglebrewsbeer wrote:I'm just in process of ordering a pan from brewbuilder with 2 x 2.4kw elements. What is the link for the leads you talk of please. As I guess I'll need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who are you asking? My link is at the beginning somewhere.

Fermenting:
Conditioning: