Vacuum bag problems

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
dshar
Steady Drinker

Vacuum bag problems

Post by dshar » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:25 am

Had a brewday last weekend and i was surprised to find my vacuum packed hop bags all puffed up and full of air! :shock:
They were nice and tight when i packed them a couple of months ago, so no idea whats going on. The bags i used were silver foil/plastic ones i got from fleebay (cue-rolling of eyes), Guess they let air in eventually....
Any tips of what is the most airtight material? The foil packs from homebrew shops seem pretty tight. Anyone know where i could get sheets of that stuff to make into bags?
Cheers guys n gals

f00b4r
Site Admin

Re: Vacuum bag problems

Post by f00b4r » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:25 am

Are you folding over the tops of the bags before filling them? If not you could be collecting stuff where it seals, so preventing it sealing properly.

phil.dadd
Steady Drinker

Post by phil.dadd » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:48 am

Yeah I've had similar problems - if you get bits of hops in the sealing bit, it can eventually let air in. Mine double seals and I've still had a few unseal over a few months.

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:53 am

I've had a few, (not many). Puff up. Ive opened these up and used some hops from them, only to find they puffed up again. I can only think something sharp has made a little hole, or ive not sealed it at both ends, (some was from a roll). I've found it easier to repackage them in another bag.
So unless you've got really cheap bags, or got hop dust in the seal. I've started to seal them twice at the top if I think there's dust in the seal (one seal above the other)
To Busy To Add,

Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Sadfield » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:49 am

The hop dust can be a problem. I weigh my hops into a paper sweet bags and put them inside the vacuum bag. Keeps everything clean and gives an extra layer of protection from puncturing.Image

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:29 am

Good idea that =D>

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:56 am

I've found that most vacuum sealers don't seal the foil type bags very well at all.

dshar
Steady Drinker

Post by dshar » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:52 pm

Having opened one it looks like it was a perfect seal, I used a pump and an iron. It was also on 10 bags So I can only conclude that they were cr*p bags. Just found some mylar ones from mylarshop or smthg like that, hopefully that does the trick!
Cheers for the help