EMERGENCY STOP!

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Hogarth
Under the Table

EMERGENCY STOP!

Post by Hogarth » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:06 am

Just wondering if it's worth adding an emergency stop button to my brewery. I see a few people here have them. Do they ever actually get used? Or are they mostly 'panel bling'? :lol:

Since they're carrying the current for two kettle elements I imagine they'd have to be pretty hefty...

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Re: EMERGENCY STOP!

Post by themadhippy » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:18 am

Since they're carrying the current for two kettle elements I imagine they'd have to be pretty hefty
normally there in the coil circuit of a relay/contactor thats doing the heavy switching so the e stop is only carrying a few mliiamps
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

DeadFall
Under the Table

Post by DeadFall » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:20 am

it's to stop the overload of hops and prevent punk ipa clones in the name of good beer.
Let's all go home, pull on our gimp suits and enjoy life

Brewing chat on slack - http://thelocal.stamplayapp.com

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:22 pm

DeadFall wrote:it's to stop the overload of hops and prevent punk ipa clones in the name of good beer.
=D> =D> =D>
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:14 pm

Some people have quite complex control panels that control various pumps and even valves, a stop button can be used to set everything to a safe status if something escapes their control (which may not necessarily be 'off'). But if it were just a couple of elements the main value may be to offer a single point of electrical isolation, say if you had two sockets/switches on different sides of a garage or something.

The chances of needing such a thing seem small, but I guess an emergency isn't normally expected to happen. I suppose SSRs leak if there is no series relay/switch, boilers can be run dry, cables can be damaged or pulled out, water can get where it shouldn't etc. But there may also be convenience in having a single on/off button that isn't only for emergencies. And inconvenience too, if its something you could forget to switch on!
Kev

Hogarth
Under the Table

Post by Hogarth » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:31 pm

Thanks for replies, chaps. I think I won't bother, then. The on/off switch on the fuse box will do instead.

I'll guard against Punk IPA clones with ceaseless vigilance, especially at flameout.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:38 am

Emergency stops are most useful where either someone might get tangled in moving machinery or get 'held' on to a live connection. In either case it depends on a second person being there to hit the stop button, so won't apply to most of us.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter