Anyone used the ESP8266

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Re: Anyone used the ESP8266

Post by themadhippy » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:08 pm

every time i get close to hooking one up to mains power running a relay blink sketch with a meter ready i get reminded of my own mortality and chicken out
Ya big girls blouse,get in there with yer probes whilst standing in a bowl of salty water :twisted: .
Alternatively get an isolation transformer,or bodge your own with 2 transformers wired back to back,240 v in the primary of 1 transformer the secondly wired to the secondary of the second transformer,should give you enough volts and current on the primary winding to power the board,its will still give you a kick if you grab hold of live and neutral,but no shock risk to earth and the current will be limited so no big bangs if your probes short something out
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:19 pm

If you've got a Sonoff device then have a look here https://github.com/arendst/Sonoff-MQTT-OTA-Arduino :)
Dan!

galaxian
Tippler

Post by galaxian » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:49 am

Hi Fil,

On the sonoff the relay is gpio 12, the switch is 0 , green led is 13 and the 5th pin alongside the 3.3v,TX,Rx,and gnd is gpio 14. So you could use gpio 14 with a temp sensor and switch a heater/cooler with the relay for example.
I have read guys with better eyesight than me have used other gpio's by soldering from the ESP chip itself .

Colin
Brewing -
Conditioning - Exmoor Gold clone (BYOBRA)
In the pipeline -
Drinking - - Fullers Ported (BYOBRA)

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:07 am

Cheers Colin, Not what Im after, I have the programming header soldered on etc.. what i fancy doing is replacing the onboard relay with a SSR, use the gpio14 for a temp sensor Then you have a PID for under a tenner ;)
But when it comes to wiring up to the mains and poking about with a meter on the back of a Live board, I bottle out..

the backup plan is to destroy the relay on a board with a pair of pliers which should visualy indicate the low voltage contact points to pull the 3v switching voltage
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

galaxian
Tippler

Post by galaxian » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:00 am

Fil, download the schematic and look at the PCB plan view here. https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-wifi-wireless-switch.html

You should be able to identify the relay pins either side of the back EMF diode D2. Looking at the schematic shows the relay driver circuit ( bottom right on the schematic) and it's a nice 5v which is useful.

Colin.
Last edited by galaxian on Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brewing -
Conditioning - Exmoor Gold clone (BYOBRA)
In the pipeline -
Drinking - - Fullers Ported (BYOBRA)

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:52 pm

Cheers, link bookmarked for a rainy day of testing..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:53 am

Andy wrote:If you've got a Sonoff device then have a look here https://github.com/arendst/Sonoff-MQTT-OTA-Arduino :)
I've been looking at these and how they are Alexa compatible.
I can just see myself on brewday just telling Alexa 'boiler on' :mrgreen:

HairyJamie
Steady Drinker

Post by HairyJamie » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:05 pm

Oooh, Alexa compatible? Sounds interesting!

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:23 pm

You tell Alexa to "find devices" and it pings out discovery messages on your local wifi network. The firmare on the Sonoff responds and tells Alexa that it's a wireless switch.

You can then issue "Alexa, turn <device> on" type commands (you can change <device> to be anything you want as part of the firmware config). I've tested it and it works :)

You do need to replace the stock device firmware with that from the link I provided though! And to do that you need to solder a pin header to the Sonoff board + have a USB->serial board (few quid off the 'bay) to connect up to a PC for the reflashing. So some techy input required.
Dan!

HairyJamie
Steady Drinker

Post by HairyJamie » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:12 pm

Andy wrote:You tell Alexa to "find devices" and it pings out discovery messages on your local wifi network. The firmare on the Sonoff responds and tells Alexa that it's a wireless switch.

You can then issue "Alexa, turn <device> on" type commands (you can change <device> to be anything you want as part of the firmware config). I've tested it and it works :)

You do need to replace the stock device firmware with that from the link I provided though! And to do that you need to solder a pin header to the Sonoff board + have a USB->serial board (few quid off the 'bay) to connect up to a PC for the reflashing. So some techy input required.
I have an echo and have experimented with openHAB and the hue bridge, next up is looking at the lambda functions. The dream would be to ask Alexa what the temperature in the garage is!

Unfortunately with a 2 month old baby time is precious and I use any 'time off' brewing!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk