Wiring two cooling fans to aSTC-1000

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
private4587
Tippler

Wiring two cooling fans to aSTC-1000

Post by private4587 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:11 pm

I am about to embark on building a brew fridge, within it will have a 60w heater and two fans. I would like the fans to run on both the heat and cooling cycles but not when neither are running. Any ideas on how to wire these fans into the controller.

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Re: Wiring two cooling fans to aSTC-1000

Post by themadhippy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:19 pm

2 relays,1 coil on the cooling circuit,the others coil on the heating circuit,wire the switch contacts in parallel,one side of the switch to power the other to the fans
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:17 pm

however running a single fan 24/7 will be a lot easier, and will aid in continual normalisation of the internal fridge temperature.

the reason a fans so useful is it moves the air which is the medium of heat exchange, the air picks up heat or a chill from passing over the heater or the cold radiator and exchanges the heat on contact with the FV..

just my 2ps worth ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

BenB

Post by BenB » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:43 pm

You actually don't need two relays. I have a low power 12v PC fan to prevent hot spots via a transformer on all the time (low kW/yr) but I also have a higher power mains fan via such a device.

You just need a single DPDT mains relay. The common terminal goes to the fan. The NC terminal you attach the power to one device (IE heater or cooler) then the NO and coil you attach to the other. Job done. The heater and cooler supplies remain isolated... The first one I made I did use two relays then when I thought about it I realised it was a waste of a nice mains relay....

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Post by themadhippy » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:39 pm

sneaky
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:03 pm

themadhippy wrote:sneaky

Why didn't ya think of that one firsts. Lol... :wink:
To Busy To Add,