new mash tun build

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

new mash tun build

Post by lord groan » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:43 pm

I've decided to try brewing smaller batches more often, although maybe thats an excuse to convert my igloo cooler to a new mash tun. I've had one of these floating about for a bit and thought I'd use it
First I took off the plastic tap. I thought about keeping it but its a 'push and hold' job and I didnt fancy draining the whole tun with my thumb jammed up against the tap. Then I cut a washer from a silicon muffin dish (2 in the end)
and screwed the brass tank connector into the hole.
Then attached a tap and spout from a previous build
As a false bottom I finally found a cheap colander and snapped off the handles and stand,
then fitted a length of tube around the rim to try and get a snug fit in the mash tun, not quite tight enough I fear, small gap visible at about 10 o'clock!
After a test run with hot water I decided to foam-fill the lid as heat was escaping through it quite quickly (7c/hr). I used a bit much and now the lid has a noticeable bulge that wasn't there before
Measured temp drop now 5c/hr using only hot water. Previous experience suggests this'll drop to about 1-2c/hr when its wet grain in the tun. Some of the initial loss will be down to heating up the tun too. No discernable warmth on the outside even with 75c water inside. Finished tun waiting for its first run.

I hope this encourages others to have a go.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: new mash tun build

Post by Fil » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:01 am

Very Nice Work!! And a great how to guide too. I especially like the lagging on the external valve feed..

Im sure you will have many successful brews from it too..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: new mash tun build- updated

Post by lord groan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:08 am

Ok, I bought the jg speedfit grey plastic tank connector to replace the brass one, then I returned it because it had lots of nasty little dirt traps inside. Got a hep20 one from screwfix which looks much better designed for a mash tun, added a stubby bit of barrier pipe and a plastic appliance tap. I've checked the heat loss in the tun now and itsdropped from roughly 10c over two hours to 6c over two hrs
Again this is using only hot water not a mash. Hopefully this means there should be virtually zero loss over a 60-90min mash with the grain helping to retain heat.
Cheers