Question re modifying the new mash tun - already!

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Question re modifying the new mash tun - already!

Post by lord groan » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:03 pm

I'm happy with the new tun apart from the heat lost via the brass tank connector, pipe and ball valve.
I'm now thinking about using a JG speedfit grey plastic tank connector, a short bit of barrier pipe and a plastic washing machine tap (15mm-valve-3/4"bsp) to improve heat retention.
Does anyone know if these are foodsafe? I'm assuming they must be but I cannot find any info mentioning this on their data sheets. They do say they are for potable water but I believe thats cold/20c or so rather than 70c+

cheers

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Question re modifying the new mash tun - already!

Post by Fil » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:24 am

This is the Round Igloo tun? and there was me all impressed with the pipe lagging already employed.. tbh i dont thik you would loose much heat at all via the tap etc if you simply used more lagging to cover the whole thing ;)

If you had to employ a reducing bush to fit the 1/2" tube, you could simply fit a waddington and duval water butt tap ;) they are food safe and should be ok upto 80C I use them on my plastic FV's, but they attach via a larger thread closer to 3/4" bsp..

Otherwise afaik the speedfit fittings are food safe, and are ok upto temps of 80-85c.. Well all those sold under the liquid dispensing banner are.
I made an ad hoc valentine arm for fly sparging using speedfit fittings as they allow the pipe to rotate freely :)
It worked a treat but i went back to batch sparging since its a lot less faf..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Question re modifying the new mash tun - already!

Post by lord groan » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:02 pm

Thanks Fil, you're probably right re the heat loss through the tap, I started thinking about this while I was measuring the temp drop over time (albeit with just hot water and no grain) and while checking the body of the igloo cooler and the lid I realised that although there was no discernible heat loss through those there was appreciable loss via the tank conn-pipe-valve fitting. The spout on the tap was very warm so I figured the setup was really quite good at conducting heat. The brass flange on the tank connector gathers up heat and there is an unbroken brass/copper path from there to the spout. I'm thinking if I keep everything plastic up to and including the valve then that should provide a really good heat barrier.
I just like tinkering I guess!
Just realised I've got an unused water butt tap, I'll have a look at it
Cheers
lg