Kit tips for a friend just starting out

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
dean_wales
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by dean_wales » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:32 am

Hi guys,

I have an old friend who wants to get into brewing this year. Total newbie with only £100 or so to spend on gear. He loves a bit of science so would like go all grain if he can.

What would you suggest?

I was going to suggest that all grain is a steep learning curve and £100 won't be enough to get him started anyhow.

He is not ken at all on kits. Would it be sensible to suggest going for an extract set up and then in a year or two adding a mash tun if he wants to progress?

How is this for a kit shopping list?

Boiler (I might be able to adapt and sell him my HLT but please suggest something).
Wide neck fermenter.
Hydrometer.
Thermometer.
Some form of temperature control.
Capper.

What consumables am I missing for brew day?
Malt extract
Hops
Yeast
StarSan

Its amazed me actually thinking about it, how simple brewing can be! I don't think he can afford a chiller. I can lend him a book and try to stop by his place on his maiden voyage.

Dean.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Click here for my cider pressing...
Click here to see my 20% Damson port experiment...
Click here for red wine from my allotment vine...

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Re: Kit tips for a friend just starting out

Post by chefgage » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:47 am

If a chiller is out the question then I would suggest the no chill method for him. That way he can use the no chill cube as the fermenter as well - works for me.

mbarn
Piss Artist

Post by mbarn » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:50 am

A second hand boiler, home made voil bag, hydrometer, fermenter, a temp probe, and 3 boxes of 500ml swing top bottles from the range would be £100.

No true temp control other than a cheap thermometer from Ebay, where you set a temp alarm for mash temp and then transfer to pan for sparge water temp.

Anything other than BIAB would take some time or be a real challenge.
Last edited by mbarn on Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Using Tapatalk

gobuchul

Post by gobuchul » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:52 am

Why not go the BIAB route?

Using extract is very expensive compared to all grain.

You can get started for less than £100 as well.

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/bia ... -2507.html

Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Secla » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:54 am

Yup brew in a bag, I have a bag he can have for postage

Cam
Steady Drinker

Post by Cam » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:55 am

I started with extract brewing (March 2016) and am still doing it but I think its my last. I plan to move to BIAB which doesn't need any more equipment as far as I can work out (I already have a bag for steeping grains). I started with extract so I could get a number of brewdays done and become used to the process before moving to AG.

If your friend did want to start with grains you could look at BIAB but as you know it is more involved. He could also start with small batches and use an existing stock pot if he has one? Just to see how he get on with it before buying all the bigger stuff?

I would be tempted to suggest doing a small extract brew on the stove first with a pot he currently has, could he borrow equipment from yourself for this first brew before fully committing?

chris246810

Post by chris246810 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:59 am

With that budget i would get a decent second hand boiler, mash bag, fermenter, airlock and steriliser.
With that and a brewing friend for advice and to borrow other bits of kit off should get him up and running while he gets the money together to buy the other bits and bobs needed.
First time probably best to do a all grain recipe kit or a tried and tested recipe.

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:45 am

you stopping by to chat him through the first brewday might well be the most valuable investment he makes, however many beers it takes!!
i'd personally suggest only investing in kit that will last a few upgrades, you don't need a lot of gear to get started anyways. so it's another vote for BIAB nochill from me. malt extract is kinda expensive - it'd be cheaper to buy a bag and some grains.. and gets you on the learning curve quicker.
so yeah personally i'd put the effort into a decent boiler, 33L SS stockpot or something with a tap. though 33L PP bucket is also fine.. if using pellet hops then with a quick whirlpool a hopfilter isn't even required.
i'm another who nochills and ferments in the same container - simpler, less risk of infection, less equipment to buy/store.
temp control is a great thing to have for fermentation, but the only difference between a fridge/controller and a bath full of water/ice blocks/thermometer is effort - and after that first taste the budget will probably increase anyways ;)
dazzled, doused in gin..

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:33 am

jaroporter wrote: temp control is a great thing to have for fermentation, but the only difference between a fridge/controller and a bath full of water/ice blocks/thermometer is effort - and after that first taste the budget will probably increase anyways ;)
Builders trug and a fish tank heater for next to nothing will suffice and make a big difference to the beer made.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by lord groan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:26 am

How handy is he? Because if he has reasonable diy skills he can make a mash tun cheaply and if patient an probably get an hlt and boiler cheap too. My first setup cost around £60-70 for a 3pot ag setup but it was all scavenged gear. I've had 3 good insulated cool boxes from carboot sales in the last couple of years, and several burco boilers in varying states of repair from carboots\ tip\ freecycle\ or just asking people. My problem is if I see one of these for less than £5 I buy it even though I don't strictly need it!

If diy isn't an option then I'd start with a thermometer a second hand boiler, an insulated cool box and a 25l pp bucket for fermenting. The boiler can be the hlt too,.
Oh and keep an eye on the for sale section here on jbk