New AG set up...starting from scratch...any comments?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Mr Squiffy
Steady Drinker

Re: New AG set up...starting from scratch...any comments?

Post by Mr Squiffy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:04 pm

If you are in the market for a Buffalo induction hob, they are currently on offer with Nisbets- £109.99 + vat

ches501
Tippler

Post by ches501 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:08 pm

Mr Squiffy wrote:If you are in the market for a Buffalo induction hob, they are currently on offer with Nisbets- £109.99 + vat
Thanks for the heads up

cerbera84
Piss Artist

Post by cerbera84 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:54 pm

ches501, i may be selling my Buffalo induction hob in the near future, if you're interested. PM me
Planning: BrewEasy system build; possibly a Wychwood Hobgoblin Gold clone
Fermenting: Simcoe SMASH
Drinking: Cascade Centennial Pale

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:20 am

Hydrometer first, a refractometer is of little use once fermentation has started. A Thermapen for your thermometer, standard mercury one as a backup. A copy of BeerSmith. Some gram scales, useful for "odd" hop additions and vital for water treatment. Bin the 5.2 stabiliser nonsense :roll: . Water analysis from Wallybrew. A 10l (approx) bucket, the most under appreciated bit of kit I have but gets used 10 time at least every brew day. If you like feeding garden birds get a bucket of fat balls, the brewery and the birds benefit. pH meter eventually. You might take a glance at Pantsmachine's recent post. :D

Patience, never appears on any list and should start it. Corner cutting rarely if ever improves your beer, ask me how I know. :roll: Look for a brewer nearby and or a Home Brew Club, talking to other brewers (obsessives) makes a change to the largely indifferent exchanges you might have at home. :wink:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

cerbera84
Piss Artist

Post by cerbera84 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:43 am

orlando wrote:Patience, never appears on any list and should start it. Corner cutting rarely if ever improves your beer
+1 - wise words
Planning: BrewEasy system build; possibly a Wychwood Hobgoblin Gold clone
Fermenting: Simcoe SMASH
Drinking: Cascade Centennial Pale

ches501
Tippler

Post by ches501 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:55 am

cerbera84 wrote:
orlando wrote:Patience, never appears on any list and should start it. Corner cutting rarely if ever improves your beer
+1 - wise words
Well I've been planning this for about 2 years and in that time I have patiently been emptying as many beer bottles as possible - purely for research purposes only I should add :^o

Thanks for all your comments - it's really helped.

G

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:52 am

ches501 wrote:
Well I've been planning this for about 2 years and in that time I have patiently been emptying as many beer bottles as possible - purely for research purposes only I should add :^o

Thanks for all your comments - it's really helped.
Continue to do so, it's useful to benchmark against commercial stuff. If you get this game right you will surprise yourself how good your own stuff can be.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

orlando

Post by orlando » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:34 pm

cerbera84 wrote:
+1 - wise words
Too often home brewers look at commercial practises and want to ape them; laudable but! At our scale though, it's sometimes not worth it or possible. There is something about brewing at scale that separates it from our brew lengths. A big commercial brewer might be able to ferment out in 2 days, depending on what they are brewing but at our scale it can take longer. To get a wort to a standard that will ferment out in 3 days is possible at our scale but it requires a lot of good technique and understanding to do it. Time can be restrictive on home brewers, real life gets in the way, when it does I guarantee the quality will go down. With good planning & patience the rewards will make it all worth it.

If there is a secret it's probably in the phrase "it's all about the mash". Get that right every time and you have an excellent chance of not just making beer but making outstanding beer.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:02 pm

Yes, it isn't always appropriate to emulate big or commercial breweries. In some cases this can be quite positive - we have the luxury of not needing to make the same compromises.
Kev

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:52 pm

orlando wrote:Hydrometer first, a refractometer is of little use once fermentation has started.
A refractometer is fine after fermentation has started as long as it gives you readings in Brix. Then you can use an online calculator such as this one.

Others have said this. but I'll repeat it. If your splashing this much cash then your plastic fermenter seems a little below the quality of your other stuff. I know you've got a brew 'fridge, but a stainless conical would keep the shiny stuff all along the line.

If it won't fit your 'fridge then go the whole hog and get the temperature control function with it. It's made a world of difference to my brews!

Guy

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:29 pm

orlando wrote:Look for a brewer nearby and or a Home Brew Club, talking to other brewers (obsessives) makes a change to the largely indifferent exchanges you might have at home. :wink:
Brilliant - not sure which of these is more true but the latter is definitely funnier
Ian