Hot water cylinder tipping mash tun build

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
PoppaZombie
Steady Drinker

Hot water cylinder tipping mash tun build

Post by PoppaZombie » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:38 am

Hello all,
I've been busy building a tipping mash tun out of a hot water cylinder and thought I'd share my experience on here. Hopefully it'll prove useful to people considering doing a similar thing in the future. I'd seen a couple of ways People had done a tipping mash tun online and copied some parts of other projects to create my own version. I haven't seen anyone using hot water cylinders yet so in that respect it may be a bit of a first.
I have been all grain brewing for a couple of years now, doing 23ltr batches whenever I could find the time. This is not as often as I'd like as with a busy job and small toddler to boot, what was a once a monthly hobby is now more like once every 2-3 months. Anyhow, what I mean is that I was running out of homebrew before even starting another batch. Disaster!
I decided to up my brew length. After acquiring a 100ltr boiler I went about my first big batch using a pair of cool boxes for the mash, transferring to a lauter tun, and batch sparging. It came together in the end but after the faff of dealing with the two mashes I knew a new larger mash tun was in order.
Another thing about me is that money is tight. I want volume and practicality over shininess so an all stainless thermopot set up with installed tap was a bit out of reach. I decided to look at used hot water cylinders as a cheaper alternative. A stainless steel vessel with ready made insulation sounded good to me and so I used it as a base. Fittings and piping in brass and copper would be fine by me.
Another few things to point out about me is that I have access to free mild steel, a workshop full of tools, a welder (mig) and I can weld myself. As far as building DIY home brew gear goes I have a head start. I was looking forward to this project.

This turned up on eBay for £65.00.
Btw how do I post pics?

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Hot water cylinder tipping mash tun build

Post by Fil » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:08 am

PoppaZombie wrote: Btw how do I post pics?
think you need to make at least 5 posts ..then save your pics to your favorite cloud server, fwiw i use flickr from yahoo, then use the "BBCode" option for sharing pics to copy and past a link in here, then delete all but the "img" and "\img" tags their contents and their []'s too

get the pics popsted asap ;)

Welcome to Jims btw
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Fil

Post by Fil » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:19 am

Fwiw an 80l thermopot isnt much more than £100 delivered if bought direct from the german ebay.fr supplier, email em for a quote .. catering-portal.bergland@msg.afterbuy.de

tho i will admit your plan sounds like much more fun.. By tipping do you mean something you can tip to minimise deadspace with an offset bottom drain or something on a fixed pivot you tip to empty once done??

PoppaZombie
Steady Drinker

Post by PoppaZombie » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:20 am

Thanks for the tip. I'll get the pics sorted sometime this weekend. I nearly bought a thermopot second hand but after finding the cylinder for £65 locally I took off down more of a DIY route. It has turned out to be an odd looking thing that's for sure :D
When I say tipping I mean it pivots on bearings. And yes I know plenty of people will say 'it doesn't take long to scoop out grains' but I'll admit I hate cleaning up. Once it's in the fermenter I want to get cleaned up as easy and as quickly as possible. This should help me out. Clean in place and on wheels so I can move it around easy

PoppaZombie
Steady Drinker

Post by PoppaZombie » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:17 pm

That sure sounds like a lot of messin just to post a pic. Guess I'm not very forum savvy

PoppaZombie
Steady Drinker

Post by PoppaZombie » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:18 pm

5th post?

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:13 pm

PZ,
5th post.
Pics next?

WA

PoppaZombie
Steady Drinker

Post by PoppaZombie » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:56 pm

I've upload photos to Flickr but am struggling with the bbcode, img stuff. I haven't got a clue what I'm meant to be doing #-o

PoppaZombie
Steady Drinker

Post by PoppaZombie » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:00 pm

PoppaZombie
Steady Drinker

Post by PoppaZombie » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:18 pm

img
Last edited by PoppaZombie on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PoppaZombie
Steady Drinker

Post by PoppaZombie » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:19 pm

Ha. This is not working at all

PoppaZombie
Steady Drinker

Post by PoppaZombie » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:23 pm

[url
Last edited by PoppaZombie on Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PoppaZombie
Steady Drinker

Post by PoppaZombie » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:25 pm

Lordy. How the hell do I just display the photo. Links are a right pain to view!

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Post by themadhippy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:07 pm

The link need to be an image file,ending in something like .jpg , not a direct link to your flicker page
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

Fil

Post by Fil » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:25 pm

If using flickr the 'BBcode share string' you copy from the site is overloaded with a bit of info about your flickr account. But if simply pasted into a post will display the pic. and the extra info

BBcode is just a format for embedding things like pics etc into messages and works like html, latex, wordperfect 5.1 and earlier by wrapping its 'objects' in identifying tags

Code: Select all

[IMG] my/example/web/pic/string.jpg [/IMG]  for a picture 

your pic above will look like
[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/615/33113482191_2d35746a22_b.jpg[/img]
If you use the full editor and not the quick reply option in the thread you will have a message preview button to allow you to preview your post as it will appear in the forum to test n see ;)

So paste the whole flickr share string and preview it in the full editor and the waffle im spouting may start to make sense ;) you can then delete the extra text and tags and test you still get the image displayed ok :)

then to copy a web pic you can right click on it in your browser and if you select the 'copy image address' option in the menu it will copy that into your pc clipboard and you can paste it in a post between a pair of Image tags available via the button labeled "IMG"