Moving/lifting full fermenters?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Rogermort
Piss Artist

Moving/lifting full fermenters?

Post by Rogermort » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:19 pm

How do forum members go about shifting a fermenter containing up to 50 litres?

I gravity fill through a counterflow wort chiller before pitching but then I need to get the resulting weight up into one of my fermentation chambers (larder fridges).

Up until now I've been doing 25 litre batches which are easy enough to lift but when going to 50 litres ish I'll be doubling the weight!

robbym123
Steady Drinker

Re: Moving/lifting full fermenters?

Post by robbym123 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:52 pm

I have a couple of 60 litre fermenters. I find that when full the best technique to move them is to make lots of grunting noises and swear at bit!. It isn't so bad when there are two of us brewing, but when it is just me it is tough. Stating the obvious, i know, but i do tend to restrict myself to 40-45l per fermenter when on my own.

I guess one other idea would be to liquor back once the fermenter is in situ?.

Good luck!.

a-slayer
Hollow Legs

Post by a-slayer » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:39 pm

I have a lifting aid for helping with my fermenter, it's called "The wife"

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:48 pm

I've been fermenting in a Wilko's 80 ltr storage box which is upstairs in a bedroom. I drain 41 ltr from the boiler to two 25 ltr bins. When one bin has around 15 ltr I take it upstairs after starting to fill the empty one. Three trips does it.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

Wilfy
Tippler

Post by Wilfy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:05 pm

Could you not fill the FV from the boiler while it's in place in the fridge?

BenB

Post by BenB » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:09 pm

Very very carefully.

Seriously- a knackered back isn't much fun.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:10 pm

Rogermort wrote:How do forum members go about shifting a fermenter containing up to 50 litres?

I gravity fill through a counterflow wort chiller before pitching but then I need to get the resulting weight up into one of my fermentation chambers (larder fridges).

Up until now I've been doing 25 litre batches which are easy enough to lift but when going to 50 litres ish I'll be doubling the weight!
Could you make a platform the height of the floor of your chamber, fit some castors and then push it in from that?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Rogermort
Piss Artist

Post by Rogermort » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:02 pm

Wilfy wrote:Could you not fill the FV from the boiler while it's in place in the fridge?
I could but it would require pumping the wort through the counterflow rather than using gravity. It's already a balancing act controlling the taps on the kettle and the cold water flow. Adding a pump to the equation multiplies the chances of Mr Cockup coming by for a visit.

Rogermort
Piss Artist

Post by Rogermort » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:03 pm

orlando wrote:
Rogermort wrote:How do forum members go about shifting a fermenter containing up to 50 litres?

Could you make a platform the height of the floor of your chamber, fit some castors and then push it in from that?
This is my current favourite and the one I've been heading towards. Aldi have some nice castors in at the moment but they're £9.99 EACH!!!

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:17 pm

Rogermort wrote:
Wilfy wrote:Could you not fill the FV from the boiler while it's in place in the fridge?
I could but it would require pumping the wort through the counterflow rather than using gravity. It's already a balancing act controlling the taps on the kettle and the cold water flow. Adding a pump to the equation multiplies the chances of Mr Cockup coming by for a visit.
True, but pumps are wonderful, be the way I'd go. Wouldn't go back to gravity and they have so many uses.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:59 pm

I fill from the CFC with the FV on a wheeled trolley I made, I can then just slide the FV onto the shelf in the fridge.

When it's time to move the beer into a bottling bucket I'll slide the FV back onto the trolley and use a rope hoist to lift it up onto the freezer so I can siphon from it.

All easy-peasy with a bit of organisation and some wheels.

ATB. aamcle

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:57 pm

Its the reason a 5 gallon brewlength is so popular, most folk can lump it up from floor to waist height for a gravity drain.

Larger volumes will need some aid, If you can maintain a pressure seal to contain upto 5psi in your FV you could employ co2 pressure from a regulated co2 supply?

Otherwise its probably a pump you will need, Though someone does use a scissor lift table..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Rogermort
Piss Artist

Post by Rogermort » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:21 am

Aamcle has arrived at the sort of solution I think I'm likely to employ first. Thanks all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:02 am

This is what I use.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:04 pm

IPA wrote:This is what I use.

Nice lifting rig. I really must get out of the kitchen and get my permentent brewery set up.