Grainfather conical fermenter

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
nibber
Steady Drinker

Grainfather conical fermenter

Post by nibber » Mon May 15, 2017 9:10 pm

The new Grainfather conical fermenter (with optional glycol chiller) looks quite interesting-with the dual tap and temperature controller works out the same price as a 52 litre chronical SS Brewmaster edition,not sure about the build quality compared to the SS though-having said that i took delivery of a 52 litre SS Brewmaster Chronical last week but the front legs were scratched and it had a manufacturing defect mark like a weld spot mark on the front leg-not what i expected for £599 so i sent it back. =D>
Last edited by nibber on Mon May 15, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Grainfather conical fermenter

Post by Rhodesy » Mon May 15, 2017 9:26 pm

I am sure I seen Brew UK selling a SS Brewtech Conical with the damaged described above last week for a reduced price of £539 or similar :wink:

I am quite interested to hear more about the GF Conical as and when we see some reviews, it looks quite clunky but thats not always everything....

Secla

Post by Secla » Mon May 15, 2017 9:57 pm

i like the look of the glycol chiller but prefer brewtech conicals to be honest

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:00 pm

i just noticed that glycol chiller is £850 eek

I'm also wondering, with the grainfather conical, is only part of the wall double skinned?

Secla

Post by Secla » Mon May 15, 2017 10:43 pm

chris2012 wrote:i just noticed that glycol chiller is £850 eek

I'm also wondering, with the grainfather conical, is only part of the wall double skinned?
i think its all double skinned and insulated but the cooling channel only runs though a small belt around the middle

Coffeeuk
Piss Artist

Post by Coffeeuk » Tue May 16, 2017 7:54 am

How does it handle heating ?

nibber
Steady Drinker

Post by nibber » Tue May 16, 2017 10:19 am

Has a built in low voltage 12 volt 30 watt heater tape/band. :mrgreen:

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Tue May 16, 2017 4:15 pm

chris2012 wrote:i just noticed that glycol chiller is £850 eek

Glycol chiller can chill 4 conicals at once.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

ciderhead
Piss Artist

Post by ciderhead » Fri May 19, 2017 10:00 am

Saw one in the flesh at Brewcon, they look impressive and as does the glycol chiller and there is no question if you are a prolific brewer with limited space this would be for you but could I justify that sort of money for my hobby where I can get a £100 fridge and a £300 conical?
The drain and dump valve look very clever, but can they handle big DH loads?
On the plus sides for homebrewers its great to see innovation like this as it drags all HB suppliers games up from plastic buckets and brewbelts.

goldthirst
Tippler

Post by goldthirst » Wed May 24, 2017 11:31 am

I currently use a SS Brewtech Brewmaster Bucket which is nicely made but I'm finding there isn't sufficient head space above the wort. The first brew I did must of blew off about 3 pints. The second brew I had to rack the rest into a separate 1 gal demijohn to stop the waste. A new fermenter would have to have enough room at the top of the brew. I've been looking at getting a conical in the future and some form of cooler for doing lagers. I haven't got room for a brew fridge so I'm looking at various options although £850 for a chiller is very expensive. Other options include shelf chillers, cold water, etc. I have a Cornelius keg I could use if I do any lagers, just need to get a CO2 bottle.

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:09 pm

Goldthirst- how much wort are you putting into the BM Bucket? thinking of getting a tall fridge and two of these that i can stack, so have two temp controlled fermenters on the go at one time. as you say much cheaper than the GF.

one thing that stands out about the GF glycerol chiller is that you can have four going at once at differing temps. that way you could have an IPA, a Lager and a belgium ale all fermenting and conditioning together.

i am weighing it up, brewbuckets and fridge makes sense now, but if in a year or two i go for the GF and chiller then the Fridge and Brewbuckets would have been a wasted expense.

Secla

Post by Secla » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:20 pm

You can use ssbrewtech stuff with the gf glycol. Both maltmiller and brewuk have a solution

goldthirst
Tippler

Post by goldthirst » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:19 am

Onthebrew wrote:Goldthirst- how much wort are you putting into the BM Bucket? thinking of getting a tall fridge and two of these that i can stack, so have two temp controlled fermenters on the go at one time. as you say much cheaper than the GF.

one thing that stands out about the GF glycerol chiller is that you can have four going at once at differing temps. that way you could have an IPA, a Lager and a belgium ale all fermenting and conditioning together.

i am weighing it up, brewbuckets and fridge makes sense now, but if in a year or two i go for the GF and chiller then the Fridge and Brewbuckets would have been a wasted expense.
The wort in the BM bucket came to around an inch or less below the top which ended up with a few pints of wastage out of the blow off pipe. I've since got myself a 14 US gal SS BM chronical and Maxi 210 cooler for the larger wort brews.

Secla

Post by Secla » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:53 am

I added the domed lid to my bucket. Gives an extra 3l I think of headspace

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:32 pm

secla - cheers ,that's interesting, didnt know that about the GF chiller- can you also use it with smaller FVs such as the minibucket for split batches? You can use it as the cold input for any system set up?

Goldthirst- sorry i meant how much volume of wort do you transfer - i usually only end up with 16 or 17 litres in the FV so might not be such an issue for me.