Conical Recommendations

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Kentbrew
Sober

Re: Conical Recommendations

Post by Kentbrew » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:32 pm

My fridge is fine for height, but the Brewtech 14g definitely wouldn't fit in my fridge if Kev's numbers are in the right general area regarding width (although it's actually depth that is more of an issue for me - 38.5cm).

I expect there are ways to make it work with different fridges, fridge extensions, insulation, coolers etc., but I'm trying to keep costs and footprint down, and some general tidiness. The missus has been very patient over the years, but I don't want to test that!

keith1664
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by keith1664 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:45 pm

It just needs some of the shelf supports cutting out. It can be awkward if you need to flip the lid catches but is doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:12 pm

Yes you can butcher the door gubbins if just depth is an issue. The width in those pictures is tighter than I'd like, but presumably you can still make the toggle clamps work Keith?
Kev

Kentbrew
Sober

Post by Kentbrew » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:28 pm

Hmm. Good pics - thanks Keith. I need to do some thinking!

keith1664

Post by keith1664 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:28 pm

I can, just.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

Kentbrew
Sober

Post by Kentbrew » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:04 pm

Returning to this again - Keith, your photo really does make it look doable. Not all fridges are the same, so I still have some size anxiety (as it were!). Can you advise of your fridge's interior dimensions, width and especially depth?

I should say that having lurked for many years, I'm very impressed by the helpful and prompt responses to my first post! Thanks!

keith1664

Post by keith1664 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:11 pm

They're 51cm wide and 45cm deep, from the back of the fridge to the front of the conical is 46cm but there's enough space in the door to cover that.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:23 am

This is a SS brewtech 1/2 barrel in a 2nd hand Tefcold 1380 if that helps.

It’s very heavy when full to I use a hydraulic table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Kentbrew
Sober

Post by Kentbrew » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:57 am

Even allowing for liberal hacking of the shelf mouldings, I'm not looking at more than 47w by 46d. If I could squeeze in the conical, I'm really not sure it would allow me to open the lid or do anything with it once its in. Why oh why can't fridge manufacturers take successive homebrewing upgrades into account in their designs?!

LeeH - I need to not keep looking at your setup - it looks the business, but it's making my wallet cry!

StrontiumDog
Piss Artist

Post by StrontiumDog » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:58 am

LeeH - I have a similar fridge to yourself for my fermentasaurus, along with the same sized greenhouse heater. I'm finding in these cold months it struggles to get the temp up to 20°C (I brew in the garage). Do you have any crafty method to get the heat circulating or is your brewery ambient temperature not too bad to begin with?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

LeeH
Under the Table

Conical Recommendations

Post by LeeH » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:19 pm

StrontiumDog wrote:LeeH - I have a similar fridge to yourself for my fermentasaurus, along with the same sized greenhouse heater. I'm finding in these cold months it struggles to get the temp up to 20°C (I brew in the garage). Do you have any crafty method to get the heat circulating or is your brewery ambient temperature not too bad to begin with?

I have found the same so fitted a small oil heater off amazon.

Heat rises pushing the cold air down (convection) so it just heat loss through the glass door for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

StrontiumDog
Piss Artist

Post by StrontiumDog » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:34 pm

Aha! That's a good idea, cheers :-)

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:52 pm

Kentbrew wrote:
LeeH - I need to not keep looking at your setup - it looks the business, but it's making my wallet cry!
It’s made mine cry over the past few years!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Digby
Piss Artist

Post by Digby » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:33 pm

LeeH wrote:
Kentbrew wrote:
It’s made mine cry over the past few years!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
BrewUK have an SS Brewtech flash sale on at the moment which may make it a little less painful. I couldn't resist!

Matt

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Heron1952
Piss Artist

Post by Heron1952 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:58 pm

I have exactly the same set up as Kev, very happy with it. Have to say that 7gal. rather than the 14gal. that I have, would probably have been adequate. It's cooled and heated with a modified 310 Cornelius cooler. A 7gal. Would fit a large larder fridge.
aka Rhys