building a fermantation chamber

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
brewpete
Piss Artist

Re: building a fermantation chamber

Post by brewpete » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:20 pm

right have revised my plans for the fementation chamber as i already have a maxi 110 cooler in me garage just checked the dimensions and there is enough headroom for a 200l brewbuilder flat bottom fv want to be able to ferment under pressure and use a cooling coil and a spunding valve
fermentersaurus have a stainless ball float i can use as well any ideas or help with idea would be great

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:41 am

The 200L BB FV will seal well enough to make a blow-off tube viable, but I didn't think it would take the pressure required for carbonation? Unless you know better, it may be necessary to use a keg, cask or bright tank for that.
Kev

brewpete
Piss Artist

Post by brewpete » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:59 am

Hi do you think it would create enough pressure to counter fill cornis with the stainless float

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:42 am

I don't have this FV, so best to ask BB or find someone who has the exact same one, really. I'd guess it to be more likely than carbonating pressures though, a little over 1PSI is enough for racking to keg height.

TBH the float only seems worthwhile if you are dispensing direct from the FV, or maybe racking tiny amounts over a period of time. If you are racking/kegging the whole volume in one go then all the beer needs to be settled/clear first anyway.

Dispensing from the conical may be viable if pressurise-able and cheap enough to have more than one (so one FV can be dispensing whilst the next is fermenting). This may be a niche advantage of the fermentasaurus. But for expensive or non-pressuriseable conicals, it is more normal to pass storage/dispensing/carbonation duties on to kegs, bright tanks or bottles. IIRC Blichmann tried some kind of combined corny-keg/conical thing but I've not seen it take off; the price seems too expensive for most people to have the number they would need.
Kev

brewpete
Piss Artist

Post by brewpete » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:01 pm

Hi been looking at them bouncer filters as well so all I need is enough pressure to fill the kegs from ground level without the need of a pump