Alternative to Photobucket

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Alternative to Photobucket

Post by floydmeddler » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:01 am

Because those b@stards at photobucket disabled images being shared, I now need an alternative so that I can show you guys my new single vessel brewery build. Any suggestions?
F

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Alternative to Photobucket

Post by Jim » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:10 am

There are already a few threads on this e.g. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=79058

However, if you just want to share photos on here JBK has upload facilities available... :)
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:52 pm

I tend to use a sites upload facilities if available, it stops the disappearing images plague that often happens when images get removed etc by hosts. If not available, I host them on my own hosting for the same reason. Third party image hosting is always going to be a risk.

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:33 pm

Ah. I didn't know that we could upload here. Brilliant!

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:57 pm

what wolfenrook said. too many good old threads get destroyed otherwise. likewise if a poster clears out their things after a disagreement - cyberspace already owns their image-rights!!

for what it's worth, the plug-in workaround for the photobucket issue works great on old threads for me at the moment, though as third-party stuff i'm not endorsing it
dazzled, doused in gin..

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:49 pm

jaroporter wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:57 pm
what wolfenrook said. too many good old threads get destroyed otherwise. likewise if a poster clears out their things after a disagreement - cyberspace already owns their image-rights!!

for what it's worth, the plug-in workaround for the photobucket issue works great on old threads for me at the moment, though as third-party stuff i'm not endorsing it
Yeah, I use the Opera extension, I got fed up of people posting brand new threads on subjects I was interested in, with a shed load of messages from photobucket about upgrading their accounts.... :lol:

Third party hosts are a pain though. Imagshack replaces images with "out of bandwidth" place holders regularly, photobucket well we know what they've done, I'm sure IMGR will likely follow one day. They can't make money from advertising when folks use them to host images that they hotlink to on other sites, so it effectively costs them money.

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:19 pm

Uploading is obviously preferable, but if you are looking for an incredible simple and fast image hosting site, try PostImg. You don't even need to make an account (although you will be unable to edit your pics later if you don't), and it is way faster than PB ever was.
I'm not sure PB have done themselves any long-term favours here, as no one is going to pay £300 for a service that is a) slow (and always was, for me at least) and b) available for free elsewhere. I do acknowledge the conundrum facing these sorts of online services, which people always expect to be free (for some reason) but I don't know what the answer is. Perhaps a more modest fee and a better website would have been more palatable.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:39 pm

Jim wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:10 am
There are already a few threads on this e.g. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=79058

However, if you just want to share photos on here JBK has upload facilities available... :)

Is that as a resized attachment? I can do that but it looks a bit clunky. I use the PB hot fix to display pictures.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:00 am

Floyd,
You could try this one,
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=79251

WA

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:33 am

I'm using Google photos. Seems fine. It's unlikely I will be deleting my Google account any time soon.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery