Wilko Pressure Barrel

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Dave.T
Steady Drinker

Wilko Pressure Barrel

Post by Dave.T » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:10 pm

Hello,
I'm not sure where i have seen the post on Wilko's pressure barrels and people having trouble with leaks around the taps so i will try here.
I bought one recently even after seeing negative reviews and reading about people useing ptfe tape around the thread of the tap. I found on fitting the tap that the thread of the tap was going to bottom out in the tapped hole of the barrel before the washer seals on the outside face of the hole.
I cut about .1" ( 2mm - 3mm ) from the end of the thread and the washer seals perfectly, pressurised and no leaks.
I know we should'nt have to do this but it works, hope this helps anyone who has bought one.

Regards,Dave

IPA
Under the Table

Re: Wilko Pressure Barrel

Post by IPA » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:54 am

Dave.T wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:10 pm
Hello,
I'm not sure where i have seen the post on Wilko's pressure barrels and people having trouble with leaks around the taps so i will try here.
I bought one recently even after seeing negative reviews and reading about people useing ptfe tape around the thread of the tap. I found on fitting the tap that the thread of the tap was going to bottom out in the tapped hole of the barrel before the washer seals on the outside face of the hole.
I cut about .1" ( 2mm - 3mm ) from the end of the thread and the washer seals perfectly, pressurised and no leaks.
I know we should'nt have to do this but it works, hope this helps anyone who has bought one.

Regards,Dave
I did the same. This was also the problem with other budget barrels. The new Wilko barrel is however the best cheap one available.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:56 pm

A sharp or even a hot knife may be a better tool option than a hacksaw as it should cut without as many scratches on the surfacewhich may provide a harbour for unwanted microlife to gain a foothold in your brew.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

itsbedo

Post by itsbedo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:46 am

I've been after a barrel for a while, may have to give this one a try

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:08 pm

I've had a Kolsch in a new Wilko barrel for over 2 weeks without any problem or 'adjustments' so far. Bet I shouldn't have said that - going to be thinking about it all day until I can check it when I get home :(