Brewjacket

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
simpleton
Piss Artist

Brewjacket

Post by simpleton » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:20 pm

Morning,

Morning,
Anyone got one of these?

https://www.brewjacket.com/product/imme ... g-cooling/

Yes, its 10x cost of a fridge solution which I've had previously but I can't have a fridge and am not overly fussed by the cost.

So has anyone used one? Can it do lagers at ambient temps in a normal house? (21c here, missus is cold blooded). Can it crash cool?

Very keen as I need something and can't have a fridge despite having a full brewpi setup in a box that I used in my previous house. Had to take 2 years off brewing so now keen to get back into it but not without some sort of temp control. This looks super neat. And I'm keen if it does what it days. Even at £370 :shock:

Cheers
Si

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Brewjacket

Post by Jocky » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:43 pm

Emailed them 6 months ago to see if there was a UK supplier. They said they were working on it. Might be a good time for you to email them to ask again.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:28 pm

I suspect an old sleeping bag, a bin liner, and a daily exchange of frozen bottles will get you similar results..

there have been a few diy peltier brew chillers built, have a quick search in here ;) iirc every attempt has proven less than optimal, With good insulation i suspect they will work well maintaining a stable temp but i doubt the performance for effecting a significant change in temp such as when crash chilling.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

simpleton
Piss Artist

Post by simpleton » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:57 pm

I am not that fussed about the import duty to be honest as it will probably work out the same even if someone was selling them in the UK. It will just be same price but in pounds.

I have read quite a few reviews and it does seem like getting the temperature down is slow. So crash cooling would probably take at least a week and even then it would need to be somewhere cool to start with. Also, you cannot use starsan on it which is a PITA.

But apart from that it is reported to work as stated. Which is all I need to until I move (again). So might just get it and sell it when I have room for one of them temp controlled conicals from ssbrewtech. They look very nice indeed!

MashTim
Piss Artist

Post by MashTim » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:48 pm

This looks like a good candidate for DIY! A fan, a heatsink and a metal rod? Not sure what the metal rod is made out of, guessing aluminium, but I shouldn’t think more than about £50 for the bits and a couple of hours of time to build?

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:19 pm

I'm pretty sure they have a peltier heat pump attached to the rod/heatsink. They're not really that efficient though alas.

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:12 pm

How much aren't you fussed about the cost?

If you're not bothered at all, the SSBrewtech chronical with full temperature control is the way to go.

Plus a maxi 110 cooler to supply the coolant. Factory serviced and new ones are also available.

Keeps my beer within +/- 0.5C during fermentation and cools from 20C to 12C within a couple of hours to allow for yeast harvesting. Then down to 4C for a couple of days to clear before kegging.

Guy
Last edited by guypettigrew on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:54 pm

It's a fancy PC style liquid cooling system you could build one, but it would probably look nassstyyyy...........

Not too hard to do, a pump, a big peltier with heat exchanger, a couple of valves, a fan and control it with a STC 1000.

A fridge is so much better :)

aamcle

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:56 pm

spent a while myself thinking about DIY'ing this (seriously i must have spent more time dreaming up and building fermentation cooling/heating systems than.. !!). got about as far as turning an old keg spear into a coldfinger!
i think the main benefit of these is they're an elegant compact solution that doesn't involve towels and the like!
dazzled, doused in gin..

simpleton
Piss Artist

Post by simpleton » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:44 pm

Aye understand that a fridge is better as I brewed with one for a few years and still have everything to make it work in a box (bar the fridge). But I can't have a fridge at the moment. So I need something that works and doesn't involve buckets of ice or any other faffy stuff. When I move I will defo be splashing out on the full temp controlled ss brewtech chronicle. But till then, if this works, it will do. Then I'll sell it (well probably not as it's a decent backup!).

DIY is an option and I love tinkering with stuff but I'm currently converting my van so I've had my fill of tinkering with stuff to be honest. For a lifetime!

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:02 pm

guypettigrew wrote:How much aren't you fussed about the cost?

If you're not bothered at all, the SSBrewtech chronical with full temperature control is the way to go.

Plus a maxi 110 cooler to supply the coolant. Factory serviced and new ones are also available.

Keeps my beer within +/- 0.5C during fermentation and cools from 20C to 12C within a couple of hours to allow for yeast harvesting. Then down to 4C for a couple of days to clear before kegging.

Guy
I got the same setup, and I get those numbers.

Not cheap, but you can get most of the same bang for buck with a cylindrical stainless pot conversion. A lot cheaper than a conical and cheaper/easier to insulate