What makes wort corrosive?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
patwestlake
Steady Drinker

What makes wort corrosive?

Post by patwestlake » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:28 pm

Going from gas to electric and therefore need a 3kw stainless element. Whilst the obvious is stainless, there are plenty of other materials to consider - as an engineer I'm used to using a variety of alloys for corrosion resistance, but to make the right selection, you need to know what you're up against. I've sourced elements sheathed in Incalloy/Alloy 825 which is resistant to most acids and used widely in industrial processes - has anyone got info/advice on the chemistry of wort or use of Incolloy in the kettle?

Pat
FV : #99 Highway to Helles (Munich Helles)
Next up - #100 Farmhouse in Your Soul (Saison)

Drinking :
#98 Bells Light Hearted (3.9% IPA)
#97 Decadence 64 (Mosaic IPA)
#96 Wicked Weasel (Fursty Ferret Clone)
#95 Penarth Gold (Loweswater Gold Clone)
#94 Cheeseburger Cavalry (US IPA)

JonA

Re: What makes wort corrosive?

Post by JonA » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:28 pm

Wort isn't particularly corrosive, your boil is unlikely to be under pH5, so I wouldn't think it's really necessary to look at more exotic alloys for your boiler element.

In my experience a ss element will last a long time if you keep it clean, what they don't like is letting the hard deposits build up on them as it makes them overheat. As you say most folks use stainless kettle elements or immersion heater elements - both work well and are inexpensive.

Donald
Steady Drinker

Post by Donald » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:35 am

To honest, most of us like stainless as it is shiny and easy to keep clean rather than being rust proof!

simon12
Hollow Legs

Post by simon12 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:25 pm

I think the problem with the incalloy ones are you can clean the coating off when cleaning it. Ordinary copper ones are fine.

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:49 pm

Depending on your brewing methods, it can have an effect if and when you add acids IE, hard water,, crs= sulphuric and hydrochlorice acid,
I was half asleep early one mornin,,,,, forgot to add acid in the plastic bucket and added to the kettle while heating.....the said sulphuric did not care what it bumped into to react with,,, that made my nichrome heating element vanish, it also corrodes stainless. If you splash.. That's why I make my water up in plastic vessels first..
To Busy To Add,