Would a fixed looped chill set-up work?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Would a fixed looped chill set-up work?

Post by Meatymc » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:24 pm

Seem to be permanently on here at the moment!!!

I no-chill at the moment as no water supply where I brew in the garage - plus I don't see the need to waste water if possible. This works well enough I suppose but my 1st infected brew has got me thinking about my process and whether there are any improvments I can make to cut out as many infection opportunities as possible.

I also like hoppy beers - see question on the Hop section re flame out additions into the cube.

I do now have power though so wondering whether it would be possible to chill effectivly using a fixed loop system - chiller in the wort piped through a pump to a 2nd chiller in a chilled (ice cubes) barrel of water? The barrel would be outside and pipework between the 2 chillers would be fixed to bare walls hence making surface exposure as large as possible.

Don't want to spend silly money on this given I can manage as is but thought it was worth asking the question.

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Would a fixed looped chill set-up work?

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:47 pm

If you need to chill and have access to an external barrel/water butt, why bother with fancy setups? Just use the rainwater. Nice closed system, no waste, interesting source of low mineral liquor if you are brace enough .

Obviously it's not totally that simple- you will need a good pump and a plentiful supply of coolant - at least 10x your brew length for an IC, and you will probably need to direct the first hot coolant into something other than your water butt, to avoid temperature equalising your coolant.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:00 pm

TheSumOfAllBeers wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:47 pm
Just use the rainwater. Nice closed system, no waste, interesting source of low mineral liquor if you are brace enough .
Others have tried that and found that they ended up with beer that tasted of car fumes.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:55 am

Jocky wrote:
TheSumOfAllBeers wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:47 pm
Just use the rainwater. Nice closed system, no waste, interesting source of low mineral liquor if you are brace enough .
Others have tried that and found that they ended up with beer that tasted of car fumes.
I misspelled Brave.