Inline filter

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Paddington
Piss Artist

Inline filter

Post by Paddington » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:46 am

I've just had an online flyer advertising an inline filter to 'brew better-tasting and clearer beer, with less waste, and without pumps or additives! Simply connect the filter between your racking cane and keg, or between your boil kettle and fermenter (temperature-safe up to 150 degrees!).'

Simple question, are these any good? I ask because I haven't particularly heard of anyone using them which I'd expect to have done if they work.

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Inline filter

Post by Haydnexport » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:16 am

link please mate

Maldon John
Steady Drinker

Post by Maldon John » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:10 pm

UpTheToon
Piss Artist

Post by UpTheToon » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:21 pm

You'd need to flush it with CO2 to avoid oxygenation?

I'd be interested in one of these (or something like it) to avoid dry hop sludge making it into my kegs. Not if it's going to substantially increase exposure to oxygen tough.

beer baron
Tippler

Post by beer baron » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:48 pm

Seen these in action and not really impressed no better than using a fine hop spider when transfering the wort to the FV and then using a pop sock over the siphon or bottling stick. I thought it was going to be nearer a beer filter (like a wine filter) and clear the beer so it was clear all it does is filter some of the trub out which can be done if you are careful with the syphon tube and a pop sock

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:05 pm

has the look of a novelty gimmick to me.

the mesh in the filter body looks like quite a wide gauge, wouldnt stop a hop seed or twiglet...

safe upto 150c and operates upto 65C HMMMM!! so over 65C its gonna leak like a sieve??

Mini Randell eh? that might be worth investigating, but will incur another wedge in plumbing fittings to allow quick removal, and i cant see any vent valve to bleed off any air retained in the system..

imho let gravity clear the beer either in the keg or FV.. and if you still need some help with clarity look at simple finnings, consider introducing a 2ndary FV/brite tank, or buy an opaque quaffing mug ;)...
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(