Einbrew 3V2P - First Brewday

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Post Reply
User avatar
AdyG
Hollow Legs
Posts: 355
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:57 pm
Location: Leicester UK

Einbrew 3V2P - First Brewday

Post by AdyG » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:46 pm

Hi Everyone

I’ve not posted on here for a little while, but thought I’d do a little write up about the recent modifications to my 3 vessel kit recently connected to the Einbrew 3V2P Controller.

I’ve had the kit around two years, built from a two 70L stainless steel stock pots for the HLT and the boiler, then a 50L thermopot for the mashtun. All the fittings and modifications have been done with parts from Homebrew Builder and Angel Homebrew and fitted by me.

I used the kit for around 18 months just doing batch sparging, but wanted more accuracy, control and efficiency. I also wanted an easier way of controlling mash temperature and the ability to do step mashes. I wanted to install a HERMS coil, and I also wanted a controller like The Electric Brewery.

Einbrew were looking for people to test their controllers in the field and were kind enough to send me a 3V2P to trial. Once the HERMS was installed connecting the controller was very easy as the PT100 temperature probes replaced the temperature dials I had in the t-piece connectors for the sight glasses in the HLT and boiler. I fitted the mashtun temperature probe in a t-piece connector before the tap. The pumps and element plugs were swapped for C20 & C13 connectors to plug into the controller. I have two 2.4kw elements but it can run 3kw maximum on a 16A circuit. It was a very quick and simple plug and play install.

My first brew day was a Flanders Red Ale Cuvee Des Jacobins Rouge clone to try the stepped mash. I wanted 40 minutes at 63C, 20 minutes at 72C then 10 minutes at 76C. The HLT was set to 76C strike temperature which was probably too hot, as cold water was added to the HLT get back to 63C. Pump 1 was turned on manually to recirculate through the HERMS coil and back onto the top of the grain bed with a Flexible Sparge Hose. You can pre program up to 9 mash steps and 9 hop insertions in advance, but you can pause and amend the brew day as you progress. The controller also pulses the pump on/off a few times before running to assist priming.

The mash worked exactly to plan, and for the sparge I could just run pump 1 from the HLT and pump 2 simultaneously to drain from the mashtun to boiler. At this I started heating up the boiler.

There were a couple of default settings I had to change on the controller to get both pumps to run simultaneously and accept temperatures higher than 95C but a quick look at the instructions easily solved that.

I had two hop additions at 60 minutes and 10 minutes pre programmed, and the alarm sounds to notify you. After the boil you set the required cooling temperature and let the pump recirculate through the plate chiller until you reach 21C in this case. The pumps always have to be turned on manually, but I don’t think that’s a bad thing as it encourages you to keep an eye on your brew day.

The following day I did a 50L batch of 6% IPA to give the controller another run, again everything went to plan. I had an issue with the filter in the boiler clogging with hops and run off really slowing down but that always happens with really hoppy beers.

Overall I was very impressed with the way the Einbrew 3V2P performed, it's an awesome bit of kit and well worth getting if you want to take your brewing to the next level. It’s a really well made and easy to use controller, and did everything I wanted it to do. I think at some point I will upgrade my elements to 3kw to speed things up a bit.

I have several more brew days planned over the next few weeks including a Saison, an Tripel, an Orval Clone and a Gose, so looking forward to getting the Einbrew to brew these too.

Here's some pictures of the kit and controller, any questions then let me know.
IMG_20180427_094941.jpg
IMG_20180422_153245.jpg
IMG_20180422_153314.jpg
IMG_20180422_153213.jpg
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127849091 ... ed-public/

User avatar
Jocky
Even further under the Table
Posts: 2227
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:50 pm
Location: Epsom, Surrey, UK

Re: Einbrew 3V2P - First Brewday

Post by Jocky » Tue May 01, 2018 7:09 am

Thanks for the review. Neat setup you have there. Wish mine was as tidy.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Posts: 622
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:12 pm

Re: Einbrew 3V2P - First Brewday

Post by Haydnexport » Tue May 01, 2018 8:15 am

Sounds promising, I've yet to open the 1v one i have to test , but all going well i should get it out on thursday.

User avatar
AdyG
Hollow Legs
Posts: 355
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:57 pm
Location: Leicester UK

Re: Einbrew 3V2P - First Brewday

Post by AdyG » Tue May 01, 2018 1:10 pm

Jocky wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 7:09 am
Thanks for the review. Neat setup you have there. Wish mine was as tidy.
HI Jocky, it was tidied up for the photo, normally it's in a right state! :D

User avatar
AdyG
Hollow Legs
Posts: 355
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:57 pm
Location: Leicester UK

Re: Einbrew 3V2P - First Brewday

Post by AdyG » Tue May 01, 2018 1:12 pm

Haydnexport wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:15 am
Sounds promising, I've yet to open the 1v one i have to test , but all going well i should get it out on thursday.
Are you using that for BIAB then?

Good luck and enjoy! It definitely made the brewing experience more enjoyable for me.

dbambrick996
Piss Artist
Posts: 125
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:56 pm

Re: Einbrew 3V2P - First Brewday

Post by dbambrick996 » Tue May 01, 2018 2:25 pm

Did a German Pilsner on the 1v1p last weekend, it’s very impressive. I have a 2 vessell rims system similar to the breweasy setup, this is similar to biab, full volume brewing.
I also have an ardbir which I thought was the dogs, but the 1v1p is easier to use.

I have a review coming shortly

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Posts: 622
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:12 pm

Re: Einbrew 3V2P - First Brewday

Post by Haydnexport » Tue May 01, 2018 4:52 pm

AdyG wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 1:12 pm
Haydnexport wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:15 am
Sounds promising, I've yet to open the 1v one i have to test , but all going well i should get it out on thursday.
Are you using that for BIAB then?

Good luck and enjoy! It definitely made the brewing experience more enjoyable for me.
No it's for a one vessel brewing system , like a braumeister , only cobbled together !

User avatar
AdyG
Hollow Legs
Posts: 355
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:57 pm
Location: Leicester UK

Re: Einbrew 3V2P - First Brewday

Post by AdyG » Wed May 02, 2018 8:30 am

dbambrick996 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 2:25 pm
Did a German Pilsner on the 1v1p last weekend, it’s very impressive. I have a 2 vessell rims system similar to the breweasy setup, this is similar to biab, full volume brewing.
I also have an ardbir which I thought was the dogs, but the 1v1p is easier to use.

I have a review coming shortly
Great, I'll lookout for that review then. Definitely makes the brewing process easier!

User avatar
AdyG
Hollow Legs
Posts: 355
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:57 pm
Location: Leicester UK

Re: Einbrew 3V2P - First Brewday

Post by AdyG » Wed May 02, 2018 8:32 am

Haydnexport wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 4:52 pm
AdyG wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 1:12 pm
Haydnexport wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:15 am
Sounds promising, I've yet to open the 1v one i have to test , but all going well i should get it out on thursday.
Are you using that for BIAB then?

Good luck and enjoy! It definitely made the brewing experience more enjoyable for me.
No it's for a one vessel brewing system , like a braumeister , only cobbled together !
My Bro in Law has a 20L Braumeister and loves it, but there's something about building something yourself and customising it that appeals to me... I realise it's a process that never seems to end, but all part of the fun right?

Post Reply