Counterflow Chiller parts list

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
pathos
Sober

Counterflow Chiller parts list

Post by pathos » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:14 pm

I'm looking at building a coiled counterflow chiller in copper or stainless. Does anyone have a ready made parts list?

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Re: Counterflow Chiller parts list

Post by sbond10 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:40 pm

Yep you will need
4 x 15mm x 10mm copper reducers (toolstation)
2 x stainless steel 1/2 " equal tees
2 x stainless steel 1/2" x 20mm hose barbs
Jubilees clips and cable ties
10mm micropore copper pipe
3/4" hose pipe
Ball valve tap

Any more questions fire away im half way thru my build

HairyJamie
Steady Drinker

Post by HairyJamie » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:45 pm

Share build pictures please! I'm considering building one myself and would love a look at how you're getting on,

Cheers

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

sbond10
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:39 pm

Follow me twitter @streetbrewer28 for the pics

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:09 pm

Stainless corrugated outer, copper inner = fully autoclavable, very easy to clean without chemicals.

Search eBay for solar pipe.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

HairyJamie
Steady Drinker

Post by HairyJamie » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:14 pm

Wow that looks a belter! Does it stay in the pot? Is the pot used for the boil? Interested!

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:50 pm

HairyJamie wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:14 pm
Wow that looks a belter! Does it stay in the pot? Is the pot used for the boil? Interested!

Wait till you see the price of solar hose

barneey

Post by barneey » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:44 pm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-st ... 3165946601?

£2.38 a meter, postage sucks though & the end couplers aren't all that cheap but its fully autoclavable (assuming you have a large enough clave). Most CFCs have a bracket or some sort to hold them in a coil, or cable ties etc. a stainless pot however works just as well & this sits permanently in the pot to contain the coil.

The GF CFC are £140.00 to buy brand new, I have an unused GF CFC up for sale at £100.00 but for a similar budget you can make something similar to the one I have used for the last few years. Or a cheaper version if external hose is used, the internals will still be more or less the same.

All CFC are relatively easy to make, follow the same principle, regardless of material used.

I have used ICs, CFCs, Plates, no chill in the past but for me a CFC has the best of all worlds.

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:14 am

barneey wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:44 pm
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-st ... 3165946601?

£2.38 a meter, postage sucks though & the end couplers aren't all that cheap but its fully autoclavable (assuming you have a large enough clave). Most CFCs have a bracket or some sort to hold them in a coil, or cable ties etc. a stainless pot however works just as well & this sits permanently in the pot to contain the coil.

The GF CFC are £140.00 to buy brand new, I have an unused GF CFC up for sale at £100.00 but for a similar budget you can make something similar to the one I have used for the last few years. Or a cheaper version if external hose is used, the internals will still be more or less the same.

All CFC are relatively easy to make, follow the same principle, regardless of material used.

I have used ICs, CFCs, Plates, no chill in the past but for me a CFC has the best of all worlds.
My apolagies i was on a train and could only find 25 quid a metre stuff

One question i have barneey is this do you wrap copper spirial wire around the internal pipe to make the water spin and centralise the pipe ?

barneey

Post by barneey » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:37 am

On the corrugate stainless build no other additional copper wraps were used, I assumed that the corrugations of the stainless would be enough to cause the cooling water turbulence.

I have in the past when using a say a hose for the outer pipework, wrapped a piece of wire around the outside of the inner tube.

For the straight "goat" CFC made, I even went the extra and convoluted the inner tube.

Ground water temps & length of coil play a bigger roll in the cooling ability of any builds, that and making sure the flow is in the correct direction, easy to get that wrong on a brew day, which why I assume the GF CFC is colour coded. :lol:

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:09 am

I will be using 20mm id rubber hose and 10mm copper pipe but dont think ill be wrapping wire the pipe mainly as i dont have a blow torch for soldering. It will ten metres in unwrapped form wort thru the top cold water thru bottom.