New fermenter

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
wolfenrook
Piss Artist

New fermenter

Post by wolfenrook » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:46 pm

I bought a new fermenter, so thought that I would show it off.

30 Litre Speidel fermentation tank, with their massive airlock and the spigot options. The airlock really is HUGE, so hopefully no more need for blow off tubes with this baby to cope with gas production even with M29 yeast. :wink:
Fermenter.jpg

HairyJamie
Steady Drinker

Re: New fermenter

Post by HairyJamie » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:59 am

I've had my eye on one of those for a while!

How tall is it with and without the airlock? I've always wondered if it would fit in my fridge.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:01 am

I have a couple of the 20 litre versions. They're great. Air tight, can take a modest amount of pressure and the handles in particular are nice and strong.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

cristian.n
Tippler

Post by cristian.n » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:17 pm

The fermenter is great (i use 2 of these; strong build tight sealing). The only minus is that you have no markings on it but you can measure and mark it with a black water resistent marker.
You will have no problems with the heavy duty airlock. Same airlok is unsed for their 60L version.
Cool addon you may consider: https://shop.speidels-braumeister.de/en ... ion-barrel
Size without airlock is 47cm (you should add aprox 15 cm for the airlock)

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:09 pm

Thanks for putting the measurements.

Nice addon, but I think my wife would rather I just went with a fermentation fridge to be honest. lol

I was thinking along the lines of kettle - graduated bucket - speidel FV, that way the lack of markings won't be a problem and I'll know my volume into fermenter. It'll also help to aerate my wort well. I already have 2 graduated 30 litre buckets (full of beer waiting to be bottled...) that'll do the job. I don't normally ferment 2 at once, but hadn't brewed in a while thanks to my last boiler packing up, so did 2 batches in a row to catch up a bit.

I have to say, I REALLY like the airlock! I usually always use a blow of tube, into a 2 litre bottle with about 1 inch of diluted Star-san, and it's clumsy to say the least. Normal bubblers or 2 parts airlocks though would just blow empty with the yeasts I use though (M29, Belle Saison, M44, M41, you get the idea...), heck that's why I only used 1 inch of Star-san (more would just foam up out of the 2 litre bottle... lol). Bit of cheap Vodka in the bottom of this beast should stay put nicely though. Oh, and somebody pointed out to me, if you but a 2nd tap you can fit it to the top and use it to fit a blow off tube instead of an airlock, if for example you can't fit the airlock into your fridge...