New shiny!

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
monkeyboy
Piss Artist

New shiny!

Post by monkeyboy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:06 pm

Decided to treat myself to a new fermenter. I really, really wanted to be able to justify a chonical but none of them would fit inside my fridge (not without major surgery), and having achieved much better results since going to temp-controlled fermentation I was loathe to give it up. I suppose I could have bought a tall fridge but it seemed easier (and cheaper) to keep it simple. So here's my 33L fermenter from brewbuilder. Quality seems really good - it's solid and the welds all look strong.

Plenty of room at the top for an airlock. The fridge is a standard under counter beko. Heater in the bottom, inkbird temperature controller.

The one slight surprise was just how heavy (and ridiculously over specced) the valve is. I wish I could find something slightly more appropriate. Angling it like shown makes it easier to close the fridge door - the handles are really quite long. When I was researching it was hard to find photos of fermenters in fridges so I'm posting this in case it helps anyone else make the decision.
Fermenting: AG#22 San Diego IPA
Drinking: Probably.

monkeyboy
Piss Artist

Re: New shiny!

Post by monkeyboy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:07 pm

Hmm. That didn't work too well. Try this:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=12xbls ... RfXZx2AYkV

StrontiumDog
Piss Artist

Post by StrontiumDog » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:27 pm

monkeyboy wrote:Decided to treat myself to a new fermenter. I really, really wanted to be able to justify a chonical but none of them would fit inside my fridge (not without major surgery), and having achieved much better results since going to temp-controlled fermentation I was loathe to give it up. I suppose I could have bought a tall fridge but it seemed easier (and cheaper) to keep it simple. So here's my 33L fermenter from brewbuilder. Quality seems really good - it's solid and the welds all look strong.

Plenty of room at the top for an airlock. The fridge is a standard under counter beko. Heater in the bottom, inkbird temperature controller.

The one slight surprise was just how heavy (and ridiculously over specced) the valve is. I wish I could find something slightly more appropriate. Angling it like shown makes it easier to close the fridge door - the handles are really quite long. When I was researching it was hard to find photos of fermenters in fridges so I'm posting this in case it helps anyone else make the decision.
I had my eye on one of these. What sort of valve does it have? Bubbler/2-piece/blow off etc)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

gobuchul
Steady Drinker

Post by gobuchul » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:42 pm

That looks very nice, however, you're right, that valve is ridiculous.

Completely over the top and unnecessary.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:47 pm

I fixed the image link for you.

Very nice, very Shiny! :)
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Kevwaller
Steady Drinker

Post by Kevwaller » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:10 pm

I looked at those, that valve though would not allow it in my fridge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monkeyboy
Piss Artist

Post by monkeyboy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:00 pm

StrontiumDog (great name btw - I used to love 2000AD), it's got another tri-clamp ferrule on top, so a bung and a normal airlock or any kind of blow-off attachment would work. In my case, a bung and a airlock - there's sufficient headspace for my typical brewlength.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:19 pm

Very nice, but i agree the valve is way ott. tho im a bit of a luddite preferring to rack off sediment with a dip tube and siphon. Not only does it contribute to a brighter pint, but the FV (without ant tap holes) is a quicker clean and sanitation.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

MarkF_2703
Steady Drinker

Post by MarkF_2703 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:43 am

I bought one earlier this year, very impressed, using a blow off tube, I went for a ball valve though as found in this thread from last year. So far so good, I nearly went for the butterfly valve but they were out of stock.

https://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/vie ... er#p815282

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:19 pm

These are damn good FVs, so I'm sure you'll be very pleased with it. The benefits of conicals are real but quite specific to certain activities; unless you intended these, then they can introduce unnecessary complication.

The triclamp butterfly valve is the proper job. Certainly on bigger vessels they are what I'd choose if I had the budget. On smaller ones that can be tipped up and moved easily then admittedly they may be overkill but if you're going to have a tap then it may as well be a good one. Particularly if you may get other triclamp bits and bobs in future.
Kev