Burco wash boiler tap replacement

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
man_beach
Steady Drinker

Burco wash boiler tap replacement

Post by man_beach » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:37 pm

I want to replace the tap on my old Burco wash boiler with a ball valve. Checking my Screwfix catalogue, it looks like I'll need a flanged tank connector, half inch ball valve and some off-cuts of copper pipe. Could anyone tell me the size and shape of hole I'm likely to find when I remove the original tap, and what size tank connector I'll need? Is the 15mm (Screwfix code 6146G) the right size or will I need a 22mm connector? https://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-px35- ... tid=392922
2005-08-19--18-01-04.jpg

LeeH
Under the Table

Re: Burco wash boiler tap replacement

Post by LeeH » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:24 am

I would take the tap out and just measure it pal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:43 pm

Yeah. Hard to tell without being there to be honest, just measure up, Screwfix is open basically all the time.

man_beach
Steady Drinker

Post by man_beach » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:32 pm

OK

Carnot
Piss Artist

Post by Carnot » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:44 pm

If I were doing this job I would put a stainless tank/bulk head connector on with a stainless ball valve and tail. You might even be able to get away with a 3/8 valve and reducer. Look on eBay. This is where you can find just about any stainless fitting going.

man_beach
Steady Drinker

Post by man_beach » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:19 pm

Thank you Carnot. As I suspect that removing the existing tap will probably destroy it, I wanted to get all of the bits beforehand. Don't want to have the boiler out of action any longer than necessary. That's why I wanted to know the size of hole - so that I could order all of the bits before taking my tools to the tap

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:01 pm

If at all similar (and the tap looks identical) to my ol single skin ally burco, you should find a round hole with a square notch to align the tap assembly when the tap is removed. I used a standard 15mm compression brass tank connector to seal up the hole ok, and i had drilled it through with a 15mm blacksmiths bit so a short length of copper tube could be pushed all the way through. this allowed me to solder on a 90 degree elbow and dip tube to the copper tube on the inside.

with hindsight i would solder the inside dip tube assembly into the tank connector, and use the m22 thread (basically 1/2" bsp) of the tank connector to fit the tap on directly, instead of extending copper pipe out of the tank connector onto which i attached a standard compression ball valve, as this did expend the tap 'arm' a good 7" out from the pot wall making it an awkward hook to catch on everything when lumping the kettle about..

sorry no pics as my burco is 5 gallons to the rim and my one and only biab attempt in the thing was a total spillfest which resulted in brewing being banned from the kitchen for life.. And for my next brew i made up a mango chutney blue barrel boiler (45-50l) no spills since ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(