extension cable

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
wilfh
Piss Artist

extension cable

Post by wilfh » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:59 pm

Ok so I’m being pushed out of the house for brewing and need an extension cable that can take it.

I’ve got a boiler with 2 x2.5kw elements and tried it outside with my normal b&q extension coil. That didn’t work. Came to the boil nicely then the extension cable died and flipped the circuit breaker.

So what do I really need? I need about 10m and have access to the cooker plug if that helps.
As you can probably tell I’m not electrician so please keep it (very) simple.

Thanks very much
Wilf

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Re: extension cable

Post by chefgage » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:13 pm

Just a quick point to note. When you say you have access to the cooker plug do you mean the cooker switch that has a built in socket next to it? If so this socket is still rated at 13A the same as your normal sockets.

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:19 pm

You need a 13A cable for each element. Most extension reels are only 10A e.g. Wilko's sell a few but only one is 13A. Probably cheaper to buy suitable cable/two plugs/two sockets (MK would be a good brand) and build a couple like this.

Each cable should go to a separate plug, not both into a double socket. Preferably one into the cooker circuit though a single circuit should be OK if kept below 7kW total (e.g. 2x2.5kW then switch off one if someone wants a 3kW kettle).

edit: if you buy reels, remember to fully unwind them
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

wilfh
Piss Artist

Post by wilfh » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:12 pm

Thanks both for the help. Cables ordered and on its way. Next step cover to keep out of the rain!
Cheers
Wilf

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:21 pm

wilfh wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:12 pm
Next step cover to keep out of the rain!
wilfh,
You must buy one of these then! :D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roof

WA

Sorry, Couldn`t resist.

hal
Sober

Post by hal » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:41 pm

The current drawn in Amps is equal to the Wattage divided by Volts. (1KW draws 4A assuming a 250V supply).
If using extension leads ensure they are suitably rated and unwind them fully. If they are used partly unwound they can get very hot and melt.
The best way to use 2 high wattage elements is to connect each one to a different socket, ensuring the two sockets are on different ring mains.
To find which sockets to use flip the trips1 by 1 in your fuse box. Alternatively use one ring main and the cooker socket. Make sure everything
is safely earthed. Hope I have helped, please be careful, get a qualified electrician if in any doubt, (I don't want to be responsible for any problems).

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:56 pm

hal wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:41 pm
The current drawn in Amps is equal to the Wattage divided by Volts. (1KW draws 4A assuming a 250V supply).
If using extension leads ensure they are suitably rated and unwind them fully. If they are used partly unwound they can get very hot and melt.
The best way to use 2 high wattage elements is to connect each one to a different socket, ensuring the two sockets are on different ring mains.
To find which sockets to use flip the trips1 by 1 in your fuse box. Alternatively use one ring main and the cooker socket. Make sure everything
is safely earthed. Hope I have helped, please be careful, get a qualified electrician if in any doubt, (I don't want to be responsible for any problems).
You're unlikely to have two ring mains you can access easily. Nor do you need two rings.

Two separate sockets on the same ring will be fine as long as the ring is rated high enough at the consumer unit. For 2 x 2.5kW elements you'd need a fairly chunky breaker. 30 amps would do it. This would then allow other appliances up to about 3kW to run off the ring without tripping it. My downstairs ring is rated at 32 amps. Fairly standard, I think.

Guy

hal
Sober

Post by hal » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:15 pm

5KW will draw about 20A, so 32A ring main will be OK. 32A mcb's are standard in most houses for a ring main.