Refilling soda stream bottles.

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
PeeBee
Under the Table

Re: Refilling soda stream bottles.

Post by PeeBee » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:24 pm

kebabman wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:21 am
If I try refilling without inverting the gas bottle should I just fill for around the 30 seconds time still that co2 supermarket mentions. Does anyone know how much less weight you get in the sodastream bottle by filling with the donor cylinder upright?
Unless someone has already worked it out (and therefore knows the volume of a "sodastream" cylinder) that could absorb a bit of brain power. My brain ain't up to it, but I had a look all the same. This probably contains the information needed:

http://www.linde-gas.pt/en/legacy/attac ... m:03-25938

Wish I hadn't dug it up, 'cos it says:
It is highly inadvisable to transfer carbon dioxide from one cylinder to another.
Yikes! It also repeats some of what I've been saying:
The pressure in a CO2 cylinder depends solely on temperature. At 20°C, for example, it is 57 bar. Even an almost empty CO2 cylinder remains at 57 bar at 20°C, as long as it contains the liquid phase. This means that the contents of a CO2 cylinder cannot be determined by measuring its pressure, but only by weighing.
To work out the answer to your question you need to know the volume of the cylinder and the weight of gaseous CO2 that will occupy that volume at about 57BAR and room temperature. And even that might not be enough as it will assume only gas transfers and I think some condensate will (must?) transfer even if the donor cylinder is upright? It also assumes room temperature, and the action of changing liquid CO2 to gas is going to drop the temperature well below that.

It's all getting too much for my simplistic understanding … is someone else going to come along and fill in the blanks?
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

LeeH
Under the Table

Refilling soda stream bottles.

Post by LeeH » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:35 pm

It states a full bottle holds 425g of liquid.
I tare off the empty cylinder and weigh again after the refill. If the bottle has just come out of the freezer I can get that weight with no issues. Just don’t put anymore in.

If you donor bottle has no dip tube you will be filling with gas not liquid. So your newly filled bottle won’t last long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

brewpete
Piss Artist

Re: Refilling soda stream bottles.

Post by brewpete » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:35 pm

have filled loads with that adapter takes about 5 goes from the freezer to the adapter but it does work