Gas burner

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
jaquiss2005
Tippler

Gas burner

Post by jaquiss2005 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:33 pm

Have been using electric SS boilers so far but thinking of moving over to using a gas burner so I have more control over brews. Electric plugs also getting warm! Indications are this needs to be propane, or could I use the calor gas bottle I have with my barbecue? Not got the burner yet - mainly do standard 23 litre brews.

Any advice?

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Re: Gas burner

Post by guypettigrew » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:48 pm

Hello jaquiss2005

The general opinion is electric is easier to control than gas.

What sort of extra control are you looking for?

As an aside, if your plugs are getting too warm, then better quality plugs are probably needed!

Guy

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:55 pm

We use gas at work in the distillery and I wouldn’t say that you get ‘easy’ fine control over the gas - it can be very fiddly to dial it in just right. I’d take electric elements any day of the week.

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Rhodesy » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:14 pm

When I moved to all grain I started on gas using a Blichmann burner (called Hellfire or something now) which could get an amazing boil but it was quite fiddly as noted above. I ended up going electric after a short time and have no complaints. With gas you do need to factor in having a replacement bottle if for instance you run out, something that save an unusually long power cut at the time of brewing you don't need to worry about with elextric.

Where do you brew just now? Indoors or out?