storing opened hops

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

storing opened hops

Post by lord groan » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:34 pm

Pushing the definition of brewing equipment...
but I've discovered that the heavy polythene bags Lidl Super Nutty or Super Berry Granola comes in make excellent resealable airtight bages for opened hops. You can write easily in biro on the outside of the bag too, just squish 'em flat, seal 'em up and drop 'em in the freezer!

Jim
Site Admin

Re: storing opened hops

Post by Jim » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:43 am

Good tip! Thanks for posting. :)
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:15 pm

Great idea, unfortunately we are not keen on that sort of cereal and don’t have a Lidl close. Any other alternatives people use?
The airtight Tupperware / Clipit type containers don’t like having their hinged lids unclipped when frozen, not sure the current ones will last very long. They are also more intrusive for SWMBO than heavy duty resealable plastic bags would be.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:00 pm

I got a vac packer for £40 or so and now vac pack anything i can get my hands on, that includes hops :) Even vac pack my phone when going on hikes, makes it waterproof :)

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:59 pm

Thats a good tip, I've got some heavy duty zip-lock style bags for temporary hop storage, but they aren't going to last for ever.

BTW, there are things in grains that you really wouldn't want near the FV's wort; I'm not entirely confident they're knobbled in the cereal processing. Maybe a thorough cleaning of ex-cereal bags would be in order, if the hops inside could be used for dry hopping.
Kev