Frequency of pH meter calibration

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Frequency of pH meter calibration

Post by guypettigrew » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:12 pm

How often do you calibrate your pH meter? Mine's a Voltcraft pH100-ATC.

It needs calibrating every brew. Not really a problem, but I'd have thought a meter of this calibre would hold its calibration much longer.

Guy

LeeH
Under the Table

Re: Frequency of pH meter calibration

Post by LeeH » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:17 pm

Every brew day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:37 pm

Every brew day, here too; it usually isn't much out, although that can increase with age of the probe. I guess in many homebrewer's usage, quite a bit of time (and possibly temperature etc) passes between brews.

It can also be worth making sure unused calibration solutions are employed each time. If you re-use the same fluid, or return what you have used to the main bottle, the two pHs can gradually become contaminated with each other as the probe is moved between the two (it is hard to dry it off completely). This might cause an apparent creep in addition to any real one.
Kev

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:22 pm

If I'm going to use it, I calibrate it. I have the same model and it barely moves out of calibration, even over months.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:40 pm

Jocky wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:22 pm
If I'm going to use it, I calibrate it. I have the same model and it barely moves out of calibration, even over months.
Yes, mine hardly varies with time. It is important to rinse with running deionised water between readings and during calibration, with any surplus liquor wicked away. The probe should also be kept in suitable storage solution.

Does the BNC plug and socket fit together firmly?
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:27 am

<QualitativeLabMode>

Every single time you take a reading!

</QualitativeLabMode>

In all reality every brew day, it's not a big deal, must admit that my Oakton doesn't move all that much between calibrations, and I am only brewing a couple of times a year.

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:43 am

Suppose it depends how slack you're willing to be with your brewing processes, which probably negates the point of buying a pH meter...will it fall out far? Probably not. If you want accuracy, yep, every time!

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:54 am

Thanks all--seems like calibrating each brewday would be a good idea.

Eric--the BNC plug and socket are a nice tight fit. I use reverse osmosis water to rinse between readings and throw the buffer solutions away after use.

I calibrated it yesterday. I'll try it again in a week or so and see if it's slipped much.

Guy

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:11 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:54 am
Thanks all--seems like calibrating each brewday would be a good idea.

Eric--the BNC plug and socket are a nice tight fit. I use reverse osmosis water to rinse between readings and throw the buffer solutions away after use.

I calibrated it yesterday. I'll try it again in a week or so and see if it's slipped much.

Guy
I too have a Voltcraft and I calibrate every brew day just before taking a reading. As others have said, it doesn't drift much between calibrations, but it does drift.
Best wishes

Dave