Modifying a Maxi 210

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Hbeerman
Sober

Modifying a Maxi 210

Post by Hbeerman » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:27 pm

Hi there Homebrewers.

I have a maxi 210 which I am just using for dispense of lager, nothing fancy.

the thermostat at the moment turns the compressor off at 4-5 C which results in around 6-7 C Pours, not really what I want more looking for around 4 C.

I have ordered a good ol STC-1000 Thermostat but was wondering how you guys wired it into the system, and also is it possible so that if I disconnect it the old thermostat kicks in?? and resumes doing its job but the STC-1000 is just an override.

Do you have any diagrams on the internal wiring, as well as how do you set it to allow for the 5 mins they recommend before turning the compressor back on.

Thanks and happy drinking!

Aerostef67
Sober

Re: Modifying a Maxi 210

Post by Aerostef67 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:48 pm

I’d love to see some schematics as well. I have a MAXI110 and the compressor doesn’t kick in, I’m wondering if it’s just the thermostat or something else.

LeeH
Under the Table

Modifying a Maxi 210

Post by LeeH » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:42 pm

I did mine, it was simple. Just look at the stat and put the switched pair through the STC’s cooling contacts.

The delay time is one of the 4 pre sets. The first is the control temp so it’s Pr 2,3 or 4.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

LeeH
Under the Table

Modifying a Maxi 210

Post by LeeH » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:50 pm

Obviously you need to put the STC probe in the water bath. Keep it away from the pump. I think I pulled the original one out and fed it down the small pipe IIRC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: Modifying a Maxi 210

Post by Kev888 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:54 pm

Pretty much what I did too, though the probes on mine were too big for the original small pipe so I made thermowells instead.

The thermostat connects live to the compressor and fan when cooling is called for, IIRC the agitator/pump's live is constantly powered up, and thats about all there is to it really (aside from all the neutrals being connected together and ditto for all the earths). Of course, if you swap the dumb thermostat for an electronic STC then that will need power too.

4-5c is pretty warm, usually these things create ice around the cooling coils in the cold bath so unless it has been set up for something special I'd agree the old thermostat might need replacing. Though just occasionally they are adjustable so perhaps worth making sure it isn't simply that.

I've had several maxis over the years, all bought cheaply on ebay and mostly not working properly (whether advertised as such or not!). The thermostats have usually been the cause (though I wouldn't assume they're 'all' cheap fixes; they can be toast if the cooling system is knackered).
Kev